Jon Hamm to star in a Dinesh and Rinku movie

May 10, 2012, 11:05 AM EDT

Dinesh Patel

Via Deadspin, word of the next baseball movie you’re likely to see:

Mad Men star Jon Hamm has become attached to play a sports agent in Million Dollar Arm, the drama based on the true story of how sports agent J.B. Bernstein discovered professional pitchers Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel through a reality show he staged in India with cricket players.

As we’ve noted before, one of the two players is back in India, seeking a government job. The other is still — slowly — working his way through the Pirates’ system.  So it’s not going to be the conventional “big game” sports movie, obviously.  Which is good considering those are pretty played out.

1. heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Get your curry popcorn ready!

• bjavie - May 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I will have to look up your comments ont he whole Indians logo is racist thing…

• heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I don’t believe I commented on that one, save you a little research time bub.

• bjavie - May 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Cool. Thanks, I swamped!

• diehardcubbiefan4life - May 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Screw you man, thats not cool. I’m Indian and I can tell you that not all Indians like curry thats not cool bro…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM

That’s a shame – I love curry. Indian food is amazing in general.

• heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I wouldn’t imagine all Indians like curry, but I cook with it all the time and love the stuff, so screw you right back good buddy.

2. heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Although I believe I see where you were going with this, and so, I rephrase:

Get your cumin, coriander, ginger, pomegranete, basil, star anise, cinnamon, rose water, caper cardamom, saffron, date, poppy seed, chili pepper, salt, capsicum, and, curry, popcorn ready.

All better now? :-)

• indaburg - May 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Now I’m craving Indian food for lunch. Damn you.

3. florida76 - May 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Another uninteresting baseball movie in the works, at least “42” is slated for release next year. Sad to see so many compelling topics left on the table, past to present. For example, a movie based on the miracle 2008 Rays would have been superior to the overrated Moneyball. A movie based on the old Negro Leagues would also be enjoyable to watch. Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Roberto Clemente, have all deserved movies for some time, whether it’s for the theaters, or cable.

• jwbiii - May 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

A Man Named Mays

Hank Aaron: Chasing the Dream

The American Experience: Roberto Clemente

• jimbo1949 - May 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

“A movie based on the old Negro Leagues would also be enjoyable to watch.”
      How ’bout Bingo Long?

• Reflex - May 10, 2012 at 11:55 PM

There was nothing ‘miraculous’ about the 2008 Rays. They played poorly for a long time and got premium draft positions. They drafted wisely. They put effort into every single aspect of the game, and hired the smartest manager they could find. Out of this came a consistent winner for a fraction of the price that other teams built winners with.

They’ve been highly competitive for four years now and it shows no signs of ending. There is nothing miraculous about that. Its just a solid organization.

4. DJ MC - May 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

The kid has a 2.66 ERA with 16 strikeouts and four walks in 20 1/3 innings this year. Granted, he’s 23 in the Sally League. Considering, though, he essentially didn’t play baseball until he was, what, 19? I think he’s doing pretty well.

5. foreverchipper10 - May 10, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I really need to start watching Mad Men…

Orioles turn AL East on its head