May 10, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Rivera, who’s been splitting time between first base and left field, was placed on the disabled list after hitting just .247 with a .634 OPS in 25 games. Abreu’s lack of range at age 38 will hurt the Dodgers’ defense, but he remains capable of getting on base at a good clip, particularly if spotted mostly versus right-handed pitching.
Triple-A call-up Scott Van Slyke could also see some starts in left field and a platoon between the lefty hitting Abreu and righty hitting Van Slyke would make sense for manager Don Mattingly.
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 5
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)