Mark Teixeira is diagnosed with inflamed airways

May 10, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Mark Teixeira Reuters

The other day I read someone making a reference to Mark Teixeira having a bad cough and/or sinus problems all season. I guess this is what they were talking about:

The Yankees first baseman visited a chest specialist at Columbia Presbyterian yesterday and was diagnosed with “severely inflamed bronchial airways” that have impacted his breathing.

“I was getting no air,” Teixeira said before the Yankees’ 4-1 loss to the Rays last night in The Bronx in which he went 0-for-4 with a strikeout to drop his average to .217. “I’ve never gotten over the cough I’ve had all year.”

Not crazy to think that has impacted his performance.  But now, with treatment, maybe his performance will be enhanced: he’ll be prescribed steroids.

Ah, just messin’ with you. It’s the non-anabolic kind. My son gets ‘em when he has croup and, to hear him tell it, he’s way too tired to clean his room and stuff. So I presume this won’t turn Teixeira into some slugging juggernaut.

1. bsbiz - May 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM

“Well I’ll never vote for him for the Hall of Fame now. But Jack Morris pitched to the score.”

-Jon Heyman

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Perhaps Teixeira is just hitting to the score. After all, if the Yankees are ahead, they don’t really need more runs anyway, right?

• bsbiz - May 10, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Dang. I wish I’d thought of that twist.

3. deathmonkey41 - May 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Do inflamed bronchial airways cause you to pull the ball every time you swing the bat even though the entire opposing team is set up on that side of the field?

• nolanwiffle - May 10, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Ah, the Bronx cheer…….beware Mark, Gotham is turning on you.

• CJ - May 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

nope. Just ask Ryan Howard.

• daisycutter1 - May 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM

The occasional bunt toward the third-base side of the field should leave him less winded than swinging.

4. mybrunoblog - May 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Mark Teixeira is a pro’s pro. I have liked this guy from the 1st day the Yanks signed him. He plays hard, trains hard and gives 100% every day.
    Hopefully this medical issue will clear up and help his on field Play.
    If I have one gripe with Teixeira it has been his post season offensive production but let’s get to the post season first before we start complaining about that stuff.

• biasedhomer - May 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Tex is always like this, he is very streaky, right now he’s on hsi cold streak.

5. sdelmonte - May 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM

The insanely high pollen counts in the NY area over the last two months probably don’t help, either.

6. steelymcbeam6 - May 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Probably from all that jeter semen he swallows

7. foreverchipper10 - May 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM

A slugging juggernaut……a sluggernaut!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3472)