May 10, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Daniel McCutchen, who threw 189 innings for the Pirates during the past three seasons, was called up from Triple-A to take Hanrahan’s place on the roster.
Juan Cruz is the obvious candidate to fill in at closer if Pittsburgh has any save chances in the next three days. Hanrahan missed some time last month with a hamstring injury and has struggled to throw strikes, but has converted six of seven save opportunities with 14 strikeouts in 11 innings.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)