May 10, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Daniel McCutchen, who threw 189 innings for the Pirates during the past three seasons, was called up from Triple-A to take Hanrahan’s place on the roster.
Juan Cruz is the obvious candidate to fill in at closer if Pittsburgh has any save chances in the next three days. Hanrahan missed some time last month with a hamstring injury and has struggled to throw strikes, but has converted six of seven save opportunities with 14 strikeouts in 11 innings.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 23
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 51
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 101
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (101)