May 10, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Daniel McCutchen, who threw 189 innings for the Pirates during the past three seasons, was called up from Triple-A to take Hanrahan’s place on the roster.
Juan Cruz is the obvious candidate to fill in at closer if Pittsburgh has any save chances in the next three days. Hanrahan missed some time last month with a hamstring injury and has struggled to throw strikes, but has converted six of seven save opportunities with 14 strikeouts in 11 innings.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)