Wade Boggs rips Oil Can Boyd a new one

May 10, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT

Oil Can Boyd

Lost in all of Dennis “Oil Can Boyd’s” admissions of pregame drug use in his new book were the accusations that his teammate, Wade Boggs was a racist who would hurl epithets left and right in the Red Sox clubhouse.

Boggs went on the radio and, to put it mildly, took exception:

“Absolutely, positively, 100 million percent, I am not a racist, I am not a bigot,” Boggs said. “You have a delusional drug addict who let not only his family down, but his team, the city of Boston, Red Sox Nation when it counted most. Now he wants the good people of Boston to go out and spend money on this garbage to support his habit. I find that extremely amusing.”

Too bad the 1979 Pirates already lay claim to “We are Family,” because that could totally be a mid-80s Red Sox thing, yes?

1. anotheryx - May 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Hehe… Wade Boggs ripping someone else for letting Red Sox down…

Isn’t that the clown who worn a Yankee cap when introduced as a Red Sox HoF player during ASG?

• The Baseball Idiot - May 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Was that when he was a member of the Yankees, and was representing them in the game?

• anotheryx - May 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

How was he a member of Yankees? He was introduced as Red Sox HoF, which kind of require him to be retired.

• Tim's Neighbor - May 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

If the ASG was being played at Yankee Stadium, makes sense to me.

2. hep3 - May 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

I am glad that Boggs didn’t sugar coat how he feels.

• purnellmeagrejr - May 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

If it was so amusing why didn’t Boggs sound amused?

• protius - May 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM

He was amused. Didn’t you see him laughing? He was laughing at the little girl who said….hehe.

3. js20011041 - May 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I was really hoping Boggs would refute the claim by citing his love of fried chicken. Alas, it was not meant to be.

• jwbiii - May 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Wade kinda liked beer, too.

4. ThisIsBaseball - May 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

But… he never denied using the racial epithets.

• sabatimus - May 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Wouldn’t using racial epithets make one a racist? He denied being a racist. To me, this is a denial of using racial epithets.

• ThisIsBaseball - May 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

No, you can use them without being racist. Maybe Boggs thought he was just joking, but Boyd took them seriously?

5. AlohaMrHand - May 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM

a womanizer yes,racist?no.Whatever happened to Margo Adams anyways?

• 18thstreet - May 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

He also did not deny using steroids. Someone tell Pedro Gomez.

6. hasbeen5 - May 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I miss good baseball nicknames.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Franklin Gutierrez has the nickname “Death to Flying Things” – a name also given in the past to Bob Ferguson and Jack Chapman. That’s my favorite.

• jwbiii - May 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Wish it would have stuck for Randy Johnson

• El Bravo - May 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I never can get enough of RJ smokin’ that bird.

• kopy - May 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM

We have is Billy “Country Breakfast” Butler, but not much else.

• sabatimus - May 10, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Chicken Man. That was it.

7. lembeck4 - May 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

To borrow the classic Deadspin comment……HE RAYCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. xsherr - May 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I’d be judgmental of someone using the nickname of “oil can”… Rock on Wade!

9. racksie - May 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

When you have to repeat your denials,three times, with invalid math, in one statement, you are generally trying to convince yourself. And didn’t Wade pound a case of beer on a plane once? I’m guessing that was before “greenie” testing? At the very least.

10. randygnyc - May 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Not for nothing, but his bigotry was much discussed when he played here in NYC.

• mybrunoblog - May 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

“his bigotry Was much discussed when he player here in NYC”

Gee, I have followed the Yankees pretty closely for a long time and I don’t ever recall media members writing about Wade Boggs being a bigot. Please backup that statement with some fact.

For what it’s worth I did have a member of the media once tell me that Boggs is a bit odd and has some strange superstitions but that so what? Lots of us do odd things and it doesn’t make us bigots.

11. humanexcrement - May 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM

yeah. Wade Boggs is a racist. has nothing to do with you showing up under the influence of drugs for games, not taking seriously a job most people would kill to have…it’s because he’s a racist. No, maybe you’re just an asshole.

12. atxjustin - May 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

He should have gone with the classic racist denial, “I have lots of black friends”

13. randygnyc - May 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Re-read my post. Give it some thought, and then get back to me.

• sabatimus - May 10, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Seems to me he’s asking for facts. Also seems to me you’re not giving any.

14. randygnyc - May 10, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I never said anything in my post about the media or writers. You shouldn’t assume. It makes you look, um, ignorant.

I said it was discussed in NY. From 92-98 I was a full season ticket holder, never going to less than 60 games a year (although I’ve still haven’t missed a home playoff or world series game to date) I gave them up after 98 when my wife said “enough”.. I’ve heard lots of things there, including that Boggs got into a fistfight with Gerald Williams right in the dugout runway over some indelicate comments.

• Tim's Neighbor - May 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Well I heard that randygnyc throws like a girl and is a closet Red Sox and Mets fan.

15. randygnyc - May 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Sabatimus, Delmon young recently denied being an anti-semetic racist. Tell me how that works again?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet