And now the Adam Dunn and Chipper Jones comedy hour

May 11, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Adam Dunn going deep Getty Images

Funny anecdote about Chipper Jones and Adam Dunn from Dave O’Brien of the AJC, arising out of the observation that Dunn, despite hitting his usual taters, is on a historic strikeout pace:

“I texted him this morning,” Jones said Wednesday in Chicago, smiling as the recounted their exchange, “and said, Dunner, you’re going to be the first major leaguer to strike out 300 times and hit 100 homers.”

“And he texted me back: Maybe you can come here to Chicago and give me the signs from second base.

Sick. Burn.

1. cltjump - May 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM

This is wonderful.

2. El Bravo - May 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

ZING!

3. cranbery - May 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Great to see Chipper having so much fun…………love that guy!

4. sdelmonte - May 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Ah, Adam Dunn…brings back memories of my Rob Deer Strat-O-Matic card from 1987. It was all home runs and strikeouts, with an occasional walk and maybe one single.

5. largebill - May 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

How many people will be bragging they won their fantasy league because the took a chance on Dunn bouncing back? I’d be in that group, but I unfortunately saw a tweet during the draft/auction about Bailey getting hurt and then picked up Melancon so my ERA is still kind of ugly.

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

That is a very Chipper story. I hope they’re not Dunn joking around about it.

• kopy - May 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I’m definitely Jonesing for more.

7. bsbiz - May 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

That may be my second favorite Adam Dunn moment. After watching Magellan in left for so many years, I have a soft spot for the big goof.

8. cur68 - May 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Gonna go see Larry do his thang tonight, me, yankeesfanlen & The Rabbit. Will report back on a number of issues.

1) Any sign of sign stealing.

2)If Larry is + sized or not (The Rabbit has promised to relay the information is dress size).

3)TLR’s head size before and after honors heaped upon him.

Stay tuned.

9. Lukehart80 - May 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Adam Dunn has now struck-out in 36 consecutive games, dating back to last September. That’s second only to Expos’ pitcher Bill Stoneman’s record streak of 37 straight games, set back in 1971 and 1972.

So, If Dunn can find his way to at least one K tonight and another tomorrow, he’ll be making history!

10. diehardcubbiefan4life - May 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Dunn: “Yea thats right. Come at me bro :D”

11. rpink24 - May 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Taters, what’s taters?

• stex52 - May 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Arcane Lord of the Rings reference?

• rpink24 - May 11, 2012 at 3:29 PM