May 11, 2012, 1:29 AM EDT
We detailed earlier today that Peter Bourjos seems to have gone missing. Now tonight we find that multiple teams are looking for him.
The Los Angeles Angels center fielder hasn’t played much since the Angels called up uber-prospect Mike Trout from the minors, losing ground in a crowded outfield race that also includes Vernon Wells, Torii Hunter and an occasional dose of Mark Trumbo.
Bourjos has hurt himself with his struggles at the plate this season, turning himself from a passable-bat, supreme speed/defense guy into merely a supreme speed/defense guy. But he’s still only 25 and his positives and potential make him quite valuable.
Thus, it’s not surprising that some teams are beginning to sniff around. As Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports reports:
The Nationals and Angels have had preliminary discussions about a trade that would send center fielder Peter Bourjos to Washington, major-league sources told FOXSports.com.
The Royals, Diamondbacks and Blue Jays also have checked on the availability of Bourjos, sources say.
Morosi reports that it’s unclear how far along talks are, but that the Angels are surely looking for bullpen help and perhaps a catcher now that Chris Iannetta is facing an extended absence.
Hunter’s contract is up after this season, so that could potentially clear up room in the outfield. But the Angels are likely stuck with Wells through 2014. So in that respect, it sort of makes sense to deal Bourjos. But it could be painful nonetheless for Angels fans down the line if Bourjos ever figures things out at the plate.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 26
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 36
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)