May 11, 2012, 4:23 PM EDT
David Ortiz was unharmed after being involved in a mulitcar accident on Boylston Street while traveling to Friday’s game at Fenway Park.
He remains in the lineup at designated hitter.
An eyewitness told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that Ortiz suffered some damage to the left side of his Audi R8 and that the car was taken in for repairs. Ortiz was seen joking at scene afterwards.
The accident comes just two days after Red Sox P.A. announcer Carl Beane suffered a heart attack behind the wheel and died in a one-car crash.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)