May 11, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT
Everth Cabrera is hitting .325 with 13 steals at Triple-A, so what’s keeping the Padres from calling up the 25-year-old former big leaguer for some middle infield help?
Dan Hayes of the North County Times reports that Cabrera was arrested during spring training and charged with misdemeanor assault for an alleged domestic violence incident.
According to Hayes there’s a pretrial conference next week and the Padres have confirmed the arrest, with general manager Josh Byrnes saying:
We’re looking at our options to see where we can improve our roster. As it pertains to Everth, we want to be aware of his legal issues. We just have to be aware of it and we’ll act accordingly.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12