HBT Extra: The Columbus Mad Cows, the best three baseball books and movies and much, much more

May 11, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

I took Twitter questions. Four of them are more or less about baseball.  One was about baseball books and movies. Yes, there were visual aids. And the third book I mentioned was given to me by Old Gator a couple of years ago and is highly recommended to all of you.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. Will Yoder - May 11, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Did you know that there is a Nationals level ultimate frisbee team from Columbus named Mad Cow?

• contraryguy - May 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Sounds like a natural. It’s the old gag that never dies. For non-Cbus readers: 12 years ago a local alt-paper waged a campaign to get the town’s new NHL franchise named the Mad Cows. Sadly, it didn’t take, as the NHL stuck Columbus with the inscrutable ‘Blue Jackets’ moniker. But some day… maybe Mayor Coleman’s NBA team?

btw, that Bill James tome is on Kindle now, less door-stoppy than the print version.

• Will Yoder - May 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Instead they chose Blue Jackets, for the city’s rich Civil War history?

2. umrguy42 - May 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Can’t watch at work, so I don’t know what the book is, but I’m currently reading Burying the Black Sox by Gene Carney. http://www.amazon.com/Burying-Black-Sox-Baseballs-Succeeded/dp/1597971081/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336742416&sr=8-1

It’s pretty good. I have to say, a certain “bury our heads in the sand and hope nobody notices” attitude of the owners of the time towards the corruption reminds me an awful lot of a more recent scandal… the more things change, the more they stay the same.

3. Gobias Industries - May 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I just went to Amazon.com and bought a used VHS copy of Long Gone for $119.99. You damn well better be right about that movie. Now I just need a VCR. They still make those?

• florida76 - May 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Yes, they currently make DVD/VCR combo decks, which have been big sellers. The reality is, there are something like 60 million VHS machines out there in this country, and some material hasn’t or won’t be released to DVD. VHS will be with us for quite some time.

4. Jeremy T - May 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM

DIdn’t Ellsbury win the gold glove last year?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5120)