May 11, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Look, it was apparent as of last night that Josh Beckett was going to get ripped to shreds for the next few days, but I don’t think I was prepared to see as much vitriol thrown his way as Jeff Passan does in his column this morning:
The rot in the Boston Red Sox organization runs too deep for cosmetic upgrades, and nobody better personifies it than Josh Beckett, the clueless, defiant egomaniac who’s poisoning another Red Sox season.
He describes all that has gone down — from beer and chicken through the off-day golf — and then says “This is about common sense, decency and responsibility.” Which is the same as saying that Beckett is senseless, indecent and irresponsible.
I dunno. It’s one thing to point to an instance of performance and/or behavior and say “that is bad” or “that is dumb.” It’s another, far more serious thing altogether to say “that person is a piece of shit,” which is what Passan is doing here. And I just don’t understand what puts anyone who is not close to him in the position to make such an assessment, at least on the facts we know about him and which are being reported.
Is Beckett the quintessential team player? Doesn’t sound like it. Has he made the best decisions, both in his conditioning and his public attitude and stances? No.
But it seems a little extreme to me to go from pointing out flaws in the man and his game to such sharp, sweeping character assessments as Passan does here.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 17
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)