May 11, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Look, it was apparent as of last night that Josh Beckett was going to get ripped to shreds for the next few days, but I don’t think I was prepared to see as much vitriol thrown his way as Jeff Passan does in his column this morning:
The rot in the Boston Red Sox organization runs too deep for cosmetic upgrades, and nobody better personifies it than Josh Beckett, the clueless, defiant egomaniac who’s poisoning another Red Sox season.
He describes all that has gone down — from beer and chicken through the off-day golf — and then says “This is about common sense, decency and responsibility.” Which is the same as saying that Beckett is senseless, indecent and irresponsible.
I dunno. It’s one thing to point to an instance of performance and/or behavior and say “that is bad” or “that is dumb.” It’s another, far more serious thing altogether to say “that person is a piece of shit,” which is what Passan is doing here. And I just don’t understand what puts anyone who is not close to him in the position to make such an assessment, at least on the facts we know about him and which are being reported.
Is Beckett the quintessential team player? Doesn’t sound like it. Has he made the best decisions, both in his conditioning and his public attitude and stances? No.
But it seems a little extreme to me to go from pointing out flaws in the man and his game to such sharp, sweeping character assessments as Passan does here.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 13
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)