May 11, 2012, 8:33 PM EST
Morales, who missed a year and a half with a broken left ankle, said his Achilles has bothered him for the past three or four days. He was concerned enough to place a call to the doctor who performed the second surgery on his ankle, but he was advised that he should be fine with a couple days of rest.
“He told me it’s normal for that to bother me, since I’ve gone almost two years without playing regularly, and that I need to take a day or two off to rest,” Morales said through a translator. “There’s no real risk [of a major setback] because it’s the Achilles.”
Morales was put on anti-inflammatory medication and could be back in the starting lineup as soon as Sunday. However, he could receive an injection if the soreness lingers.
Morales, 28, is hitting .315/.344/.424 with two homers, nine RBI and a .768 OPS across 96 plate appearances this season.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 245
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (247)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)