May 11, 2012, 8:33 PM EDT
Morales, who missed a year and a half with a broken left ankle, said his Achilles has bothered him for the past three or four days. He was concerned enough to place a call to the doctor who performed the second surgery on his ankle, but he was advised that he should be fine with a couple days of rest.
“He told me it’s normal for that to bother me, since I’ve gone almost two years without playing regularly, and that I need to take a day or two off to rest,” Morales said through a translator. “There’s no real risk [of a major setback] because it’s the Achilles.”
Morales was put on anti-inflammatory medication and could be back in the starting lineup as soon as Sunday. However, he could receive an injection if the soreness lingers.
Morales, 28, is hitting .315/.344/.424 with two homers, nine RBI and a .768 OPS across 96 plate appearances this season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)