Lance Berkman not ready to return from disabled list

May 11, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT

berkman getty Getty Images

Lance Berkman had hoped to return from his calf injury today, but general manager John Mozeliak just announced that the Cardinals first baseman is not ready to come off the disabled list.

Berkman got off to a great start this season, but has been dealing with the injury since April 10. He played through it for two games and then was placed on the DL on April 18.

Matt Carpenter initially filled in for Berkman, but now that Allen Craig is healthy he’s been seeing most of the action at first base and is hitting .333 with three homers and a 1.165 OPS in seven games since returning from offseason knee surgery.

1. thomas655 - May 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I was hoping the “New Braunfels Flash” would be back tonight. Good luck Lance and get well soon.

• rollinghighwayblues - May 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Funny you say that, I’m fixing to hop in the truck and make a trip down to New Braunfels within the hour. I’ll tell the Guadalupe you said hello.

• thomas655 - May 14, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I live in San Antonio, was just in New Braunfels this weekend (Gruene to be exact).

2. El Bravo - May 11, 2012 at 3:53 PM

DAMMIT

• ajcardsfan - May 11, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Sitting idle on your fantasy team’s bench/DL spot?

Get well Lance, don’t strain yourself by coming back too quickly, we’ve got people to keep first base warm for you

• El Bravo - May 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM

DL…I need some friggin’ offense b/c currently, my offense is offensive.

3. thomas655 - May 11, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Will Yadi be in the lineup tonight?

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I bet the Cardinals miss Lance-a-lot!!

• ajcardsfan - May 11, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Wanted to say no we won’t, we’ve got Lance Lynn…but he’s not pitching tonight (Garcia is SP)

5. bigleagues - May 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I think Berkman should take all the time required to ensure that he is fully healthy and ready to contribute at an optimal level.

In other news, I could really use Allen Craig at 1B in my fantasy league and that would require him reaching 20 Appearances.
    :-)

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3823)