Marlins catcher Brett Hayes gets scare from gunman

May 11, 2012, 7:01 PM EDT

Brett Hayes Getty Images

Driving in South Florida with his wife on the Marlins’ off day Thursday, catcher Brett Hayes got one of the scares of his life, as a man with a handgun approached his car from the median.

Traffic had stopped because of an incident further up the road. Unbeknownst to Hayes at the time, the man approaching him had already shot and wounded two South Florida law enforcement offices.

”The guy was walking by our car, and I made eye contact with him,” Hayes said. ”I looked away nonchalantly and told my wife, ‘Don’t look at him,’ because it looked like he was obviously up to no good. Later I found out he had already shot two police officers.”

An officer carrying a handgun and wearing a bulletproof vest soon passed Hayes’ car in pursuit. A short time later, the gunman killed himself, something Hayes only found out while listening to the radio later.

”The creepy thing about it was that the guy looked like he was walking down the street to go to the supermarket,” Hayes said. ”He was very nonchalant.

You look back and you’re like, ‘I can’t believe that just happened.”’

1. dawgpoundmember - May 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I didnt read the link but, i dont get it….he said he looks like he is up to no good, and then he said he looked like he was headed to the supermarket. that story sounds awfully familiar.

• Old Gator - May 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM

He meant that the guy looked nonchalant about being up to no good. Anyway, people do occasionally rob supermarkets, even here in Macondo.

This story has been beeg news down here since yesterday. The local Faux News morning show on TPN gave it a lot of play, squeezing Julie Durda’s weather forecast a bit, which I did not appreciate in the slightest. Here’s why: http://www.123celebz.com/gallery/julie_durda/2.jpg

Well, at least it was Brett Hayes who attenuated Julie’s time on camera. It would have been a bitter pill indeed if it had been caused by Kevin Youkilis.

• Gordon - May 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Any chance they syndicate the Fox affiliate in other parts of the country? I’m really interested in South Florida weather.

• cur68 - May 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I also have noticed a sudden uptake in my interest of South Florida weather. Yowza.

2. mybrunoblog - May 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Come on man! Throw us new picture of Hayes sporting that awful new Marlins jersey. That pic is so 2011.

3. jimmymarlinsfan - May 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM

And hence why this marlins fan lives right smack dab in the middle of Massachusetts…well that and a rabid fear of roaches and spiders and a preference to be able to swim in fresh water and not get eaten by an alligator

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4706)