Marlins Park has sorta gotten into Giancarlo Stanton’s head

May 11, 2012, 12:31 PM EST

Miami Marlins v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

At least it sounds like it based on his conversation with Craig Davis of the Sun-Sentinel:

“Subconsciously, you see that big ballpark, you swing and try to put a little more into it. That’s what you’ve got to stay away from,” Stanton said this week in Houston.  “Guys like me and Gaby [Sanchez] and [John Buck], we hit those kind of high flies. Now those are routine fly balls at home.”

Stanton says it has taken a month to get used to it. And, at least on the road, he’s been doing pretty well.  It’ll be interesting to see how that translates to the next homestand.

1. quizguy66 - May 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The guy is practically endorsement for making outfielders eligible for the blown saves category. He’s a butcher out there.
    -QG

• El Bravo - May 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Are you quoting yourself? I’m confused.
      -El Bravo

• ajcardsfan - May 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

He’s the dude posting as the dude quoting another dude
        -ajcardsfan

• Jonny 5 - May 11, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Mike Stanton> Giancarlo Stanton
        -Jonny 5

• kopy - May 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

If only there was some way to identify who is posting the comment without resorting to signatures.

-Kopy

Sent from one of my seventeen iPads.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Based on his username, I’m guessing he wants us to figure out if it’s him talking or not. A challenge, if you will.
        -WhenMattStairsIsKing

• WhyDoIActuallyCare - May 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

I take offense to that…

-The Butcher

2. skeleteeth - May 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

3. Walk - May 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Stanton slugs some serioulsy long hr’s, he should be in that parkss head not the other way around. Most players homers i see just barely clear the fence. I only get to watch stanton on the odd game on espn and when the braves play but he seems clear the fence by 50 feet or better on most of his hr’s.

• seeinred87 - May 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM

You and skeleteeth ruined it!
      -seeinred87

4. Old Gator - May 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM

“Let the Iron Giant sleep, for when he awakens, Macondo Banana Massacre Field will tremble.”
    Scrooge McLoria, posing as Napoleon (his favorite pose), paraphrased by Old Gator.

OG

5. pharmerbrown - May 11, 2012 at 4:10 PM

”Guys like me and Gaby [Sanchez] and [John Buck], we hit those kind of high flies. Now those are routine fly balls at home.”

I can understand calling Gaby Sanchez Gaby, but what did he call John Buck? Fuckhead? Why was it completely redacted(?)?

– Pharmer

PS I wasn’t sure if “redacted” was the correct word… I don’t think so.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - May 11, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Hahahahahahaha – it’s his little pet name for John.

6. icanspeel - May 11, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Sounds like the Petco curse.

7. quizguy66 - May 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

“I enjoyed the comments. Even if it has detracted from my main point that Stanton is basically a trash fire defensively.”
    -QG

• Old Gator - May 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Are you sure you’re not watching Tweeter in left? The Iron Giant has a Dicke Berta for an arm and not many runners are fast enough to take a close extra base on him. He’s thrown one-hop strikes to the plate from the wall. I have seen this. I think once he’s had a couple more years of experience under his belt, that howitzer of his will match up favorably with Al Kaline’s. No exaggeration; I saw Kaline play too.

8. jcioffi1485 - May 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM

The problem is he requested a preference to no longer be referred to as “Mike”. That’s gonna cost him 25 homers right there. If you want to be a Spanish guy with Italian first name, you need to fix that. You should call yourself Giancarlo Stantonini!

• Old Gator - May 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Ackcherley, we had a cockamamie mayor named Joe Carollo here in Macondo who used the Cuban pronunciation, kah-roy-yo, as a politician when in fact his father was Italian. He had a mortal enemy of a political rival named Xavier Suarez and their battles, and all the rancid things they said about each other, made for sublime political theatre panique (that’s French, just to ingratiate myself with my houngan friends) as only Macondo can dish it up.

Carollo, incidentally, saw his boccied (as opposed to checkered) career foreshortened when he was arrested for braining his wife with a teapot.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2775)
  2. W. Myers (2537)
  3. D. Ross (2194)
  4. C. McGehee (2120)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1975)
  1. J. Shields (1878)