May 11, 2012, 10:44 PM EDT
I’m really pretty happy to see Nick Johnson back in the majors.
The 33-year-old Johnson had his best game of the season Friday in a win over the Rays, going 2-for-2 with a homer, a walk and a stolen base as Baltimore beat Tampa Bay 4-3. It was his first homer of the season.
Credit the Orioles for sticking with Johnson after he went 0-for-26 in April. He’s now 7-for-17 with three doubles and six RBI this month.
Best of all, he’s played in 14 games without getting hurt. The Orioles have spotted him pretty well so far and haven’t needed to expand his role with Chris Davis playing well at first base. Used as an occasional DH against right-handers, he might actually be able to contribute all season.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59