May 11, 2012, 10:44 PM EDT
I’m really pretty happy to see Nick Johnson back in the majors.
The 33-year-old Johnson had his best game of the season Friday in a win over the Rays, going 2-for-2 with a homer, a walk and a stolen base as Baltimore beat Tampa Bay 4-3. It was his first homer of the season.
Credit the Orioles for sticking with Johnson after he went 0-for-26 in April. He’s now 7-for-17 with three doubles and six RBI this month.
Best of all, he’s played in 14 games without getting hurt. The Orioles have spotted him pretty well so far and haven’t needed to expand his role with Chris Davis playing well at first base. Used as an occasional DH against right-handers, he might actually be able to contribute all season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)