May 11, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
The Marlins removed Heath Bell from the closer role last week after he blew his fourth save in seven chances, but Ozzie Guillen already appears ready to give him another shot.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, after Guillen was asked this afternoon whether the next save chance would go to Steve Cishek, he strongly hinted that he will opt for Bell.
“No. Let’s put Bell back there to see what happens… That’s his job. And I like the way he has thrown the ball.”
Strong enough for you? Bell is apparently back in the good graces after tossing a scoreless 10th inning Wednesday against the Astros in his first appearance since being pulled from the closer role. While Guillen has left the door open for other options, he said that Bell is “our closer” and “deserves another shot.”
Bell, who signed a three-year, $27 million deal with the Marlins during the offseason, has an ugly 10.24 ERA and 7/10 K/BB ratio over 9 2/3 innings this season. His track record suggests there’s nowhere to go but up, but the 34-year-old right-hander had a career low strikeout rate (7.32 K/9) and swinging strike rate (8.3 percent) last year.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 55
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (111)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (97)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team