May 11, 2012, 7:50 PM EST
The Marlins removed Heath Bell from the closer role last week after he blew his fourth save in seven chances, but Ozzie Guillen already appears ready to give him another shot.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, after Guillen was asked this afternoon whether the next save chance would go to Steve Cishek, he strongly hinted that he will opt for Bell.
“No. Let’s put Bell back there to see what happens… That’s his job. And I like the way he has thrown the ball.”
Strong enough for you? Bell is apparently back in the good graces after tossing a scoreless 10th inning Wednesday against the Astros in his first appearance since being pulled from the closer role. While Guillen has left the door open for other options, he said that Bell is “our closer” and “deserves another shot.”
Bell, who signed a three-year, $27 million deal with the Marlins during the offseason, has an ugly 10.24 ERA and 7/10 K/BB ratio over 9 2/3 innings this season. His track record suggests there’s nowhere to go but up, but the 34-year-old right-hander had a career low strikeout rate (7.32 K/9) and swinging strike rate (8.3 percent) last year.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (84)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)