May 11, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
The Marlins removed Heath Bell from the closer role last week after he blew his fourth save in seven chances, but Ozzie Guillen already appears ready to give him another shot.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, after Guillen was asked this afternoon whether the next save chance would go to Steve Cishek, he strongly hinted that he will opt for Bell.
“No. Let’s put Bell back there to see what happens… That’s his job. And I like the way he has thrown the ball.”
Strong enough for you? Bell is apparently back in the good graces after tossing a scoreless 10th inning Wednesday against the Astros in his first appearance since being pulled from the closer role. While Guillen has left the door open for other options, he said that Bell is “our closer” and “deserves another shot.”
Bell, who signed a three-year, $27 million deal with the Marlins during the offseason, has an ugly 10.24 ERA and 7/10 K/BB ratio over 9 2/3 innings this season. His track record suggests there’s nowhere to go but up, but the 34-year-old right-hander had a career low strikeout rate (7.32 K/9) and swinging strike rate (8.3 percent) last year.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)