Red Sox acquire Scott Podsednik from the Phillies

May 11, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT

Scott Podsednik Getty Getty Images

As first reported by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Red Sox have acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik from the Phillies for cash considerations.

Podsednik will report to Triple-A Pawtucket and Rosenthal notes that he retains the right to opt out of his contract if he’s not in the majors by June 1.

The Red Sox have had some awful luck with injuries in their outfield already, so adding some extra insurance certainly doesn’t hurt, but it would be a pretty bad sign if Podsednik ends up playing for them this season.

1. acheron2112 - May 11, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Whew. Well, that will fix it.

2. bigharold - May 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM

“Podsednik, 36, didn’t play in the major leagues last season and was hitting .203/.289/.216 with one double, four RBI and six stolen bases through 83 plate appearances with Triple-A Lehigh Valley this year.”

He’s going to fit right in!

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM

As long as he doesn’t get stuck in the sand traps or the water hazard he can provide value on this team.

Is he still fast? How fast can he run out for a bucket of KFC?

4. wlschneider09 - May 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Sarcastic comment – check
    Joke about Sox hitting – check
    Joke about golf – check
    Joke about KFC – check
    Joke about beer – forthcoming I assume
    Nothin’ but Yankees fans – check

Just another post about the Sox folks.

• MTLighthouse69 - May 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

People can make all of the jokes about KFC they want. One problem, it wasn’t KFC chicken that the Sox players were eating. It was Popeye’s. But hey, people who crack jokes don’t have to know what they are talking about, do they?

5. sabatimus - May 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM

That’ll stop the hemorrhaging.

6. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I’ve only been watching baseball for 10 or 15 years. I’ve always liked the Sox but I’ve been spoiled. Now I’m starting to understand what it really means to be a Sox fan and it’s certainly not easy.

• pisano - May 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM

mojo…. why do you put yourself through the pain? there are so many other teams you could have chosen. I dig your handle, but Jim in his present state would have advised you against rooting for the Sox.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM

That’s the team I chose and I don’t do the bandwagon thing. Plus it would’ve been too easy to just pick the Yankees. I hate people who do that.

Also I think Jim would have enough mind-altering substances to make anyone enjoy this year’s Sox team.

• aceshigh11 - May 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM

There seems to be a masochistic streak among Red Sox fans…a lot of them are only happy when they’re angry, when the Sox are losing, when they can complain.

Honestly, I think ’02-’09 was a very strange period for a lot of die-hard Sox fans…they were happy, yes, but they weren’t comfortable with having to become what they despised (the Yankees) to compete.

Even the heartbreak of the 2003 ALCS was ameliorated by the fact that the team was extremely likeable, loose, fun and exciting to watch. The Red Sox of the last couple of years have been anything but.

• aceshigh11 - May 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Ha! I know what you mean.

I became a Sox fan around ’99-’00 after going to college in MA. There was something about the “curse of the Bambino” and their reputation as loveable losers that appealed to me. I met so many bitter, cynical Sox fans, and I thought, “yeah, I could fit right in with this crew.”

When 2004 happened, I could barely believe it…Sox fans had it ridiculously good from ’02 until ’09 or so. It’s been a gradual slide since 2007, but it really accelerated towards the end of 2009.

A lot of casual fans are going to lose interest, and the sellout streak will end. This is what it means to be a Red Sox fan.

• marshmallowsnake - May 12, 2012 at 3:18 AM

What college? I went to Assumption in Worcester.

• aceshigh11 - May 12, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Small world! I went to WPI…in Worcester. Ha!

Graduated in 2001. Great school…tough but a damn fine education.

• 18thstreet - May 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Uh, dude? What team were you watching in 2003?

• acheron2112 - May 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Really Aces? I went to WPI also, and that’s also when I became a Sox fan (01-02 or so for me; I graduated in 04). I was never much into sports growing up, but after going somewhere and being surrounded by hardcore baseball fans, I just kind of absorbed the Sox thing by osmosis. I left MA after I graduated (so I missed the celebrations in 04) but brought the Sox fan stuff with me.

• 18thstreet - May 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I take it you haven’t been following the Sox for 15 years. They’ve made plenty of stupid decisions in that time.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - May 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Find me a team that hasn’t made some dumb moves in the past 15 years. The Sox have won 2 WS titles in that time and contended for a lot of those years.

• MTLighthouse69 - May 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Give me a break. The vast majority of teams don’t make it to the WS. I don’t understand why you are squawking about the Sox. They have won two WS in the past ten years. That is pretty damn good.

You have no clue what it is to be a Sox fan, having those fans going through decades upon decades upon decades of not winning a World Series, only to finally win a couple of them in the past ten years. Sox fans are spoiled, especially the young ones who have no clue how badly the Sox used to suck.

And as crappy as the Sox are now, they have fielded worse teams in their history.

7. mungman69 - May 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM

I saw Scott in pre season. He could help.

8. thetruth1313 - May 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Championship!!!

9. jwbiii - May 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Amaro said the Phillies might be sellers. I didn’t think this was what he meant, but you never know.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug