May 11, 2012, 9:33 PM EST
As first reported by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Red Sox have acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik from the Phillies for cash considerations.
Podsednik will report to Triple-A Pawtucket and Rosenthal notes that he retains the right to opt out of his contract if he’s not in the majors by June 1.
Podsednik, 36, didn’t play in the major leagues last season and was hitting .203/.289/.216 with one double, four RBI and six stolen bases through 83 plate appearances with Triple-A Lehigh Valley this year.
The Red Sox have had some awful luck with injuries in their outfield already, so adding some extra insurance certainly doesn’t hurt, but it would be a pretty bad sign if Podsednik ends up playing for them this season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)