May 11, 2012, 9:33 PM EDT
As first reported by Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Red Sox have acquired outfielder Scott Podsednik from the Phillies for cash considerations.
Podsednik will report to Triple-A Pawtucket and Rosenthal notes that he retains the right to opt out of his contract if he’s not in the majors by June 1.
Podsednik, 36, didn’t play in the major leagues last season and was hitting .203/.289/.216 with one double, four RBI and six stolen bases through 83 plate appearances with Triple-A Lehigh Valley this year.
The Red Sox have had some awful luck with injuries in their outfield already, so adding some extra insurance certainly doesn’t hurt, but it would be a pretty bad sign if Podsednik ends up playing for them this season.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The Lester trade is a win-win 87
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 147
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (147)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)