The Clemens prosecutors continue to bungle their case

May 11, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT

Brian Cashman

Look, I don’t want someone coming into my mother’s basement to tell me how to do my job, so I’m sure the prosecutors in the Roger Clemens case don’t want to hear my armchair litigating either. But, hey, it’s kinda my thing, so I’m gonna do it anyway. And today’s theme: dudes, what are you thinking?

Yesterday the prosecutors brought forth yet another witness who harms their own case. The witness was Yankees GM Brian Cashman.  The upshot of Cashman’s testimony: Roger Clemens was an amazing athlete with drive and determination, Brian McNamee was someone the New York Yankees did not like and did not trust and, oh, we have no evidence whatsoever that Roger Clemens ever did steroids of any kind.

Cashman specifically noted that, yes, players often got B-vitamin injections that the club didn’t know about or document, which comports totally with Clemens’ defense that any DNA of his on Brian McNamee’s syringes was the result of such vitamin injections. He also talked about how no one got along with Brian McNamee, how McNamee overstepped his bounds all the time and made allusions to unsavory incidents in which McNamee was involved, though he couldn’t elaborate on them due to the judge barring such testimony. Things like that Florida date rape drug incident and some other unseemliness.

The net effect: Roger Clemens is awesome — at the end he even jovially took Rusty Hardin’s bait when asked if the Yankees could use “a 50 year-old pitcher who can still throw 90″ by smiling and saying “maybe” — and Brian McNamee is an unstrustworthy nogoodnik.  This is NOT what you do when your entire case depends on (a) the jury hearing and believing Brian McNamee; and (b) believing that Roger Clemens is a liar.

Though I suppose there was one instance in which Cashman’s own reliability came into play, which could mitigate all of this.  When asked how many world championships the Yankees have won during his tenure as general manager, Cashman said five when, in reality, it’s just four. Bob Watson was the GM for the 1996 title.

Gonna guess that doesn’t help the prosecution that much.

1. mybrunoblog - May 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Couple of thoughts here.
    1. Tough to say case is bungled at this juncture. You NEVER know what those 12 people in that box are thinking.
    2. Cashman was the assistant GM in 1996 and had lots of input in that position so maybe he kind of counts that one too.
    3. If Cashman had an earpiece he would look like a secret service guy! Luv that pic.

• djpostl - May 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I thought it was Agent Coulsen from S.H.I.E.L.D. at first glance.

2. manute - May 11, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I hate this stupid trial but greatly appreciate the fact that this site is the only source of rational, readable analysis.

3. rooney24 - May 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Is the prosecution just that bad, or does this stink a little as if they are trying to wreck their own case? To play conspiracy theory:
    - Did someone get to the prosecution and/or witnesses with a pile of money to instill enough reasonable doubt to make it go away?
    - Did Petitte plan to do a flip-flop on testimony the entire time to help out his buddy Clemens? Make the prosecution think they have a reliable witness on their side and then hedge on what he said later to help wreck their case?
    I don’t know if there is anything to any of that, but when a case starts going this badly, it makes you wonder.

• screename529 - May 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM

“it makes you wonder”

Nope, it really doesn’t. What an absurd claim.

• rooney24 - May 11, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Really? In a world that includes all sorts of people lying and taking advantage of others (Madoff, Enron, etc.), and a sports world that includes refs and players fixing games for money, and a sport (baseball) that routinely ignored drug and PED use to make more money, you won’t admit there is even a slight chance that anything fishy is going on? Judging by the thumbs up and down, I am in the minority. But, I guess I don’t have the unfailing trust in every other human being that you do. I tend to be skeptical, which is why this case made me wonder.

• rooney24 - May 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Only Clemens fans must come here. Guess it was foolish of me to even think that a guy that “allegedly” carried on an extramarital affair with an underage country singer could ever possibly pay money to make something like the PED use go away.

• umrguy42 - May 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM

“Did Petitte plan to do a flip-flop on testimony the entire time to help out his buddy Clemens? Make the prosecution think they have a reliable witness on their side and then hedge on what he said later to help wreck their case?”

Did you not read any of Craig’s other articles on how Petitte totally *didn’t* “flip-flop”?

• jimbo1949 - May 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM

“Did Petitte plan to do a flip-flop on testimony the entire time to help out his buddy Clemens?”
      Question already asked and answered, entirely consistent with prior testimony. Prosecutors are trying out for the roadshow version of “The Gang That Couldn’t Sue Straight”.

4. jimbo1949 - May 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Four rings, five rings? When you’ve got that many it’s hard to keep track of them all.

5. stevietimmy - May 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Do you always start your articles with “Look…?” You look. No, you look. Hey, let’s go looking. Look, look, look. Look.

• ptfu - May 11, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Look, it’s not that big a deal.

6. aceshigh11 - May 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Isn’t the medical consensus that B12 vitamin shots are pretty much worthless?

Is there anyone here knowledgeable on the topic that can elaborate?

• vansloot - May 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

If you have a vitamin B deficiency (due to gastrointestinal disease or some underlying anemia) then vitamin B shots are very helpful, if not lifesaving.

Beyond that, at least one study (presented in the July 2004 issue of “Nutrition”) found no significant benefits for athletes getting B12 injections.

• jwbiii - May 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Which doesn’t stop them from wearing Phiten necklaces and such.

7. Charles Gates - May 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM

These government goons bungle bugle bungle. I predict their feedback will be as cloaked as a MLB umpire’s. Zero accountability, zero boundaries and zero plus a LOT of our tax dollars. Now I overtly reference yesterday’s discussion of the 2nd Amendment.

• Old Gator - May 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Of course, if they get a conviction, Craig is gonna have to eat a lot of parasite infested crow….

• sparky1002 - May 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Of course that will depend on whether the jury is capable of knowing when they are being told the truth and lied to.

8. Old Gator - May 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM

If they really want to sink their case they should put Slobbering Ozzie on the stand.

And is that one of the prosecutors in that photo, or is that Mister Pink?

• aceshigh11 - May 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

It’s Mr. Brian Crash…er, Trash…er, Ca$hman, the Yankees GM.

Excuse the juvenile play on his name…I’m a Red Sox fan in a lot of emotional anguish right now.

• Old Gator - May 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Best mockup of the “walking scene” from Reservoir Dogs yet.

9. dcwarpath - May 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM

QUOTE Look, I don’t want someone coming into my mother’s basement to tell me how to do my job…. – Best Opener Ever

10. deathmonkey41 - May 11, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I want my tax money back…seriously.

11. ejannetta - May 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Th

12. guitarjimmydolan - May 11, 2012 at 3:32 PM

What kind of weirdo saves used needles for years? A weirdo who was planted from the days of toronto to set rocket up. Rocket took the bait and let this creep into his life. I saw the hr long interview that creep did with howard stern. What a creep sitting there with a near naked bimbo pushin his now out of business website. The guy was a cop who was planted there in 98. Year of the homers.

13. materialman80 - May 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I think like Rose, it will take Clements years to come clean and finally admit he’s been lying all along…..

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5399)