May 11, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Happy birthday to Twins top prospect Miguel Sano, who turned 19 years old today and is hitting .303 with 10 homers, 20 walks, and a 1.072 OPS in 33 games at low Single-A.
One of those homers was a game-winner last week against the Angels’ affiliate in the Midwest League and the benches cleared because, as Cedar Rapids manager Jamie Burke put it: “I think he kind of pimped that home run a little bit.”
Here’s more from Jeff Johnson of the Cedar Rapids Gazette:
Sano stood in the batter’s box awhile to watch his homer against relief pitcher Carmine Giardiana. He trotted the bases, but virtually stopped a few feet before touching the plate, taking off his batting helmet as Kernels catcher Abel Baker barked at him.
Sano glared at the Kernels dugout after finally touching the plate, with Kernels players continuing to give him significant grief. He took a step toward Baker, and the dugouts began to empty, with umpires Fernando Rodriguez and Paul Clemons, as well as both teams’ coaching staffs, doing a good job of squelching what could have been an ugly scene.
Also worth noting is that being annoyed by Sano’s actions following the homer didn’t stop Burke from effusively praising him as a player:
He’s young, but he’s one heck of a player, man. He’s unbelievable. That’s the best player I’ve seen here, by far.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)