May 11, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Eduardo Nunez has struggled defensively at every position he’s tried for the Yankees, which recently includes starts in left field for the first time in his professional career.
That has limited his playing time despite a decent .728 OPS and today the Yankees decided he’d be better off starting regularly at Triple-A, demoting him to the minors to make room for Eric Chavez‘s return from the disabled list.
This time last year Yankees fans who didn’t know better were getting excited about Nunez as the long-term shortstop after he played well subbing for an injured Derek Jeter, but now Jeter is back to hitting and Nunez is back to looking like a long-term utility man his minor-league track record suggested.
He’ll be back, if only because the odds of Chavez staying healthy are always slim, and also because the Yankees are unlikely to feel comfortable with Jayson Nix as their backup shortstop for very long. So far, though, Nunez has hit .271 with a .320 on-base percentage and .380 slugging percentage in 450 plate appearances as a big leaguer and turns 25 years old next month, so not playing regularly might simply prove to be his best role.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)