May 12, 2012, 7:50 PM EST
A’s center fielder Yoenis Cespedes was penciled into the Oakland starting lineup on Saturday evening against the Tigers for the first time in five games.
But he had to be scratched after experiencing renewed discomfort in his left hand following a pregame workout and has now been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Michael Taylor was brought up from Triple-A Sacramento in a corresponding move.
Cespedes strained a muscle in the back of his left hand during last weekend’s series with the Rays.
His disabled list stint was made retroactive to May 7, and he should be able to return when first eligible.
The 26-year-old Cuban is batting .245/.319/.434 with five home runs, four stolen bases and 21 RBI through the first 199 plate appearances of his major league career. He’s struck out 29 times and drawn nine walks.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 178
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (183)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)