May 12, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
A’s center fielder Yoenis Cespedes was penciled into the Oakland starting lineup on Saturday evening against the Tigers for the first time in five games.
But he had to be scratched after experiencing renewed discomfort in his left hand following a pregame workout and has now been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Michael Taylor was brought up from Triple-A Sacramento in a corresponding move.
Cespedes strained a muscle in the back of his left hand during last weekend’s series with the Rays.
His disabled list stint was made retroactive to May 7, and he should be able to return when first eligible.
The 26-year-old Cuban is batting .245/.319/.434 with five home runs, four stolen bases and 21 RBI through the first 199 plate appearances of his major league career. He’s struck out 29 times and drawn nine walks.
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him