May 12, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
A’s center fielder Yoenis Cespedes was penciled into the Oakland starting lineup on Saturday evening against the Tigers for the first time in five games.
But he had to be scratched after experiencing renewed discomfort in his left hand following a pregame workout and has now been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Michael Taylor was brought up from Triple-A Sacramento in a corresponding move.
Cespedes strained a muscle in the back of his left hand during last weekend’s series with the Rays.
His disabled list stint was made retroactive to May 7, and he should be able to return when first eligible.
The 26-year-old Cuban is batting .245/.319/.434 with five home runs, four stolen bases and 21 RBI through the first 199 plate appearances of his major league career. He’s struck out 29 times and drawn nine walks.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 74
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (75)