May 12, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
A’s center fielder Yoenis Cespedes was penciled into the Oakland starting lineup on Saturday evening against the Tigers for the first time in five games.
But he had to be scratched after experiencing renewed discomfort in his left hand following a pregame workout and has now been placed on the 15-day disabled list. Michael Taylor was brought up from Triple-A Sacramento in a corresponding move.
Cespedes strained a muscle in the back of his left hand during last weekend’s series with the Rays.
His disabled list stint was made retroactive to May 7, and he should be able to return when first eligible.
The 26-year-old Cuban is batting .245/.319/.434 with five home runs, four stolen bases and 21 RBI through the first 199 plate appearances of his major league career. He’s struck out 29 times and drawn nine walks.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)