Bryce Harper receives 10 stitches above left eye after slamming bat into wall

May 12, 2012, 12:16 AM EDT

Bryce Harper AP AP

Bryce Harper had the worst game of his brief major league career during the Nationals’ 7-3 win over the Reds tonight. And it’s not just because he went 0-for-5 with three strikeouts.

According to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, Harper needed 10 stitches above his left eye after slamming his bat up against a wall and having it come back and hit him in the face. Seriously.

Harper took his frustrations out on a wall in the tunnel after grounding out to begin the seventh inning. He remained in the game after the incident and returned to the field in the bottom of the seventh with blood streaking down the side of his face. The picture to the right is from his at-bat in the ninth inning.

The 19-year-old outfielder emerged in the clubhouse after the game with what Kilgore describes as a “golf ball-sized welt” on his forehead and “clumps of blood” in his hair.

“I just got caught up in the moment,” Harper said. “I want to do so well. It just got me.”

Nationals manager Davey Johnson suggested that Harper could sit out one or two games for precautionary reasons, but the precocious rookie doesn’t think he’ll need to miss any time.

Harper obviously let his emotions get the best of him here, which isn’t unusual for a teenager, but the good news is that he managed to avoid serious injury. And hey, at least it inspired Ian Desmond to give him a new nickname. You can now call him “Bam Bam.”

1. phillyphan72 - May 12, 2012 at 6:11 AM

In 10 years he’ll sue the bat maker for post concussion syndrome

2. mrredlegz - May 12, 2012 at 6:42 AM

‘Bam-Bam,’ huh? Hmmm….. I think I still prefer ‘Douchebag.’ Reminds me of an ogre I went to high school with. And no, never seen him play, and haven’t read much about him either, until this past week, unfortunately. I would have plunked his punk-ass, too, though.

• sumerduckman - May 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Yea man, what a d-bag. I’d much rather have a guy on my team who doesn’t give a shit when he doesn’t perform, shrugs, eats fried chicken then goes and plays 18 holes.

• Charles Gates - May 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Have you seen him play? Actually watched the intensity with which he approaches the game? He’s exactly what everyone says they want in a player– aggressiveness and a certain amount of passionate recklessness.

So all that all you know of Bryce Harper is the rep’ he got from high school, or perhaps JuCo, which is pretty much the same prickish memory I have of most of the jocks I went to school with. And I’m not saying that he wasn’t a punk. Maybe he still is to a certain extent. But wow, watch him play. Then tell me what you’d want a player to embody.

3. Gordon - May 12, 2012 at 7:26 AM

He fought the wall, & the wall won?

• nothanksimdriving123 - May 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Very nice play Mr G. Now batting, Bobby Fuller:

Old school rock & roll.

4. gallaghedj311 - May 12, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Cole should bean him again.

5. nofunleague - May 12, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Live and learn as Mom would say. One day he goes 5 for 5 and this day will be forgotten. Baseball needs some livening up.

6. recoveringcubsfan - May 12, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I am puzzled by the hate for Harper, especially from Phillies fans. I get that you don’t want to face a future where your old, overpaid stars disappoint you more than they thrill you. That’s not Bryce Harper’s (or the National’s) fault.

Speaking of growing up, as a child I used to follow the Charlotte Knights, a team that once featured Sam Horn, Manny Ramirez, and Jim Thome, and their rivalry with the Richmond Braves starring a young Larry Jones, Jr. I seem to recall (but cannot find it on the internet – but then, those were the Old Days) Chipper once having a tantrum and smashing his bat in the dugout, only to have it recoil and knock out some of his teeth. Or maybe the Charlotte media made that one up; my point is, where’s Craig to make the comparison with Harper?

• recoveringcubsfan - May 12, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Oh man, I meant “Nationals’s.” I would “thumbs-me-down” too. I assume that’s what that was, not bitter Philadelphia fans or Ryan Howard’s mom.

• ltzep75 - May 12, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The guy is like the anti-Drew.

7. mungman69 - May 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Mike Trout–He will put the Angels on his back

8. delawarephilliesfan - May 12, 2012 at 8:14 AM

In an interview after the game, Nats GM Mike Rizzo called that bat the “most gutless, chick-sh** piece of equipment I have seen in 30 years. That bat doesn’t know who he is messing with”

9. kvanhorn87 - May 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM

The same people applauding Bryce for his passion are the same people who called Amare an idiot for punching the fire extinguisher. I wonder why?
    Hypocrites.

• mybrunoblog - May 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Punching something and missing time in a game is why people were upset with Amare. If Harper doesn’t miss any time for this nobody will really even remember it. Just a blip on the screen.
      Missing time and not being able to perform at the highest level in the layoffs? Much different.

• recoveringcubsfan - May 12, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Are you implying that we are racists? I don’t get it.

• ltzep75 - May 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

need i remind you that:

(i) Amare is a veteran

(ii) Amare is the 2nd best player on his team of only 5 starters

(iii) Amare did it during a playoff game. A playoff game (I think this bears repeating)

• bigleagues - May 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Uhm, he punched a fire extinguisher.

The rest should kind of be self-explanatory.

• 06mustang - May 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Thats just great kvanhorn87, pull the race card when all we’re doing is talking baseball. Baseball, a sport we love where over half the players are either minorites are foreign born.
      Racists…yeah, that’s us alright.

• bigleagues - May 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM

That wasn’t the ‘race card’ he pulled – it was the ‘ignoramus card’.

10. brycebstone - May 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM

For everyone saying “self control 0 emotion 1″, did we forget the self control he showed after getting beaned and using that to steal home?

We all have our moments, let’s just be glad he didn’t ruin his potential for a brilliant career.

11. hcf95688 - May 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Moron

12. mybrunoblog - May 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Not a huge deal. The kid is 19 and he is intense. Just a dumb mistake….there…. I am over it…Let it go folks, let it go…..

13. randygnyc - May 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Schmedley- Sorry, winning 5 division crowns is not an accomplishment. Anything short of a WS victory is a failure. Phillies have one 2X. In 120+ years. Pipe down.

• schmedley69 - May 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Sorry, no chance of me piping down. Why don’t you shut your hole?

• steelersfan1983 - May 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Haha internet tough guy

14. dawglb - May 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM

The guy is hitting .233. Hope he didn’t ruin that bat……got to keep this hot streak alive.

15. kvanhorn87 - May 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I was merely implying that the actions are similar and that Bryce is the “now” player in the media so he is their pretty little princess. Just like tebow last year. Madson kicked a chair and he was called a dope. Sorry if some assumed I was referring to some sort of racism. That was not my intention.

16. jlovenotjlo - May 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Remember when you were 19? Yeah… its ok

17. greymares - May 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

STOP with the he’s only 19 it’s ok. if he is given the job he HAS to make the proper choices. should the 19 yr. old that rapes your daughter or shoots your mother be excused because he’s only 19. if he isn’t mature enough send his butt back down and find another way to sell tickets.

18. drewsylvania - May 12, 2012 at 4:08 PM

71 comments for THIS? GMaFB.

• yahmule - May 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM

What would the acceptable number of comments be for this topic?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5051)