May 12, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
Earlier this week, ESPN’s Tim Koewn opened a story about ballpark dimensions by relaying an anecdote about a scuffle in the Padres’ clubhouse early last year.
Mike Adams, who now pitches for the Rangers, allegedly lashed out in a postgame rant, telling the team’s hitters to stop complaining about the dimensions at the pitcher-friendly PETCO Park. Ryan Ludwick and Chase Headley were among the targets of his comments, which resulted in some sort of ruckus.
Interesting story and I recommend reading Koewn’s piece, but Headley told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune yesterday that the scuffle never took place.
“Ninety-eight percent of that article as it pertained to myself and the Padres was 100 percent wrong,” said Headley, who then gave his recollection of the meeting.
“We were playing bad. We had a closed-door meeting. At the end of his comments, Bud asked if anyone had anything to add. Mike (Adams) mentioned we needed to focus on winning and stop worrying about the ballpark.”
“My name and Ludwick’s name were never said by Mike. I never even spoke to Mike about what he said. It’s 100 percent false. It was a big surprise to me to read that. I was shocked and really disappointed. It (the story) made me look like a jerk.
Padres manager Bud Black also denied that a scuffle took place and Adams told Richard Durrett of ESPN.com that he didn’t direct his message at any one person. ESPN continues to stand by the report, which was recounted by multiple sources.
Regardless of whether the incident took place, it wouldn’t be surprising if Ludwick and Headley were frustrated at the time. Ludwick mentioned in February that “playing in San Diego screwed me up” while Headley owns a lowly .658 career OPS at PETCO Park compared to an .814 OPS on the road. We learned last month that the Padres are in the process of conducting a study whether to alter the dimensions of the stadium.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)