May 12, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
John Axford didn’t speak to reporters after his club-record streak of 49 straight saves came to an end last night against the Cubs, but he had good reason for it.
After the Brewers topped the Cubs 8-7 on a Corey Hart walkoff single in the 13th inning, Axford hurried out of the ballpark to accompany his pregnant wife to the hospital. The couple is expecting their second child.
Courtesy of Jordan Schelling of MLB.com, the Brewers’ closer was at least nice enough to leave the following note for the media in the clubhouse.
Hilarious, awesome and classy.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (105)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)