May 12, 2012, 9:24 AM EST
John Axford didn’t speak to reporters after his club-record streak of 49 straight saves came to an end last night against the Cubs, but he had good reason for it.
After the Brewers topped the Cubs 8-7 on a Corey Hart walkoff single in the 13th inning, Axford hurried out of the ballpark to accompany his pregnant wife to the hospital. The couple is expecting their second child.
Courtesy of Jordan Schelling of MLB.com, the Brewers’ closer was at least nice enough to leave the following note for the media in the clubhouse.
Hilarious, awesome and classy.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 43
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 168
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)