May 12, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
John Axford didn’t speak to reporters after his club-record streak of 49 straight saves came to an end last night against the Cubs, but he had good reason for it.
After the Brewers topped the Cubs 8-7 on a Corey Hart walkoff single in the 13th inning, Axford hurried out of the ballpark to accompany his pregnant wife to the hospital. The couple is expecting their second child.
Courtesy of Jordan Schelling of MLB.com, the Brewers’ closer was at least nice enough to leave the following note for the media in the clubhouse.
Hilarious, awesome and classy.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)