May 12, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
John Axford didn’t speak to reporters after his club-record streak of 49 straight saves came to an end last night against the Cubs, but he had good reason for it.
After the Brewers topped the Cubs 8-7 on a Corey Hart walkoff single in the 13th inning, Axford hurried out of the ballpark to accompany his pregnant wife to the hospital. The couple is expecting their second child.
Courtesy of Jordan Schelling of MLB.com, the Brewers’ closer was at least nice enough to leave the following note for the media in the clubhouse.
Hilarious, awesome and classy.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)