May 12, 2012, 12:55 AM EDT
Thanks in part to a lengthy rain delay in the first, the much anticipated pitching showdown was largely a dud. Facing his former team for the first time, Wilson didn’t come back after the delay and was charged with four runs in one-third of an inning. Both of Hamilton’s homers were hit off Jerome Williams. Darvish gave up three runs in 5 1/3 innings in his fifth victory.
Hamilton, who has actually missed three games this season, is just the third player ever to hit 17 homers in his team’s first 33 games. Cy Williams of the 1923 Phillies and Frank Howard of the 1968 Senators also had 17.
Hamilton is also the sixth player to hit as many as eight homers in a five-game span, according to ESPN stats. Shawn Green had nine homers in five games in 2002.
Hamilton finished the night 3-for-4 after barely getting thrown out on his bid for an infield single in his last at-bat. He’s hitting .406 and has 40 RBI in 118 at-bats. He’s currently just eight homers away from matching his 2011 total of 25 in 487 at-bats.
The opposing No. 3 hitter hasn’t been so hot. Albert Pujols went 0-for-4 tonight to drop his average back to .192. With one homer on the season, he’s 36 away from matching his 2011 total.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)