May 12, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
Get used to seeing Bobby Abreu in left field for the Dodgers.
The current plan calls for Rivera to be re-evaluated in two weeks, but surgery hasn’t been ruled out. If he ultimately opts for surgery, Dodgers trainer Sue Falsone estimates he would miss six to eight weeks.
Rivera, 33, is hitting .247/.276/.358 with two homers, 13 RBI and a .634 OPS in 87 plate appearances this season. Abreu, Tony Gwynn, Jr. and the recently-promoted Scott Van Skyle figure to split playing time in left field during his absence.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)