May 12, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
Get used to seeing Bobby Abreu in left field for the Dodgers.
The current plan calls for Rivera to be re-evaluated in two weeks, but surgery hasn’t been ruled out. If he ultimately opts for surgery, Dodgers trainer Sue Falsone estimates he would miss six to eight weeks.
Rivera, 33, is hitting .247/.276/.358 with two homers, 13 RBI and a .634 OPS in 87 plate appearances this season. Abreu, Tony Gwynn, Jr. and the recently-promoted Scott Van Skyle figure to split playing time in left field during his absence.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17