May 12, 2012, 10:49 AM EST
Get used to seeing Bobby Abreu in left field for the Dodgers.
The current plan calls for Rivera to be re-evaluated in two weeks, but surgery hasn’t been ruled out. If he ultimately opts for surgery, Dodgers trainer Sue Falsone estimates he would miss six to eight weeks.
Rivera, 33, is hitting .247/.276/.358 with two homers, 13 RBI and a .634 OPS in 87 plate appearances this season. Abreu, Tony Gwynn, Jr. and the recently-promoted Scott Van Skyle figure to split playing time in left field during his absence.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)