May 12, 2012, 11:11 AM EST
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Rickie Weeks is day-to-day after initial X-rays came back negative on his left wrist. Weeks was hit in the wrist by a 96 mph fastball by Cubs reliever Lendy Castillo to lead off the 13th inning last night.
There was obvious reason for concern since Weeks required season-ending surgery on the very same wrist back in 2009, but he managed to avoid serious injury this time around. Edwin Maysonet will start in his place at second base this afternoon, but he shouldn’t have to miss much time.
Weeks is off to a terrible start at the plate this season, batting just .158/.308/.292 with three homers, six RBI and a .608 OPS across 146 plate appearances. His 41 strikeouts are the most in the National League while only Brendan Ryan (.149) has a lower batting average among qualified batters.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 336
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)