May 12, 2012, 11:11 AM EST
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Rickie Weeks is day-to-day after initial X-rays came back negative on his left wrist. Weeks was hit in the wrist by a 96 mph fastball by Cubs reliever Lendy Castillo to lead off the 13th inning last night.
There was obvious reason for concern since Weeks required season-ending surgery on the very same wrist back in 2009, but he managed to avoid serious injury this time around. Edwin Maysonet will start in his place at second base this afternoon, but he shouldn’t have to miss much time.
Weeks is off to a terrible start at the plate this season, batting just .158/.308/.292 with three homers, six RBI and a .608 OPS across 146 plate appearances. His 41 strikeouts are the most in the National League while only Brendan Ryan (.149) has a lower batting average among qualified batters.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)