Scott Rolen: “I’m hurting, I’m in pain”

May 12, 2012, 9:27 PM EDT

Reds third baseman Scott Rolen was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with pain in his chronically-troublesome left shoulder. And it sure sounds like this is going to be an extended absence:

“I’ve had a tough time and I’m in a bad spot,” the veteran third baseman concluded. “It needs to be rested.”

Rolen, 36, is batting just .174/.238/.304 with two homers and 11 RBI in 101 plate appearances this season. He’s doubtful to heal quickly, and it’s safe to wonder whether this is the beginning of the end of his career.

1. proudlycanadian - May 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Give it all the rest it needs Scott. I am a fan of yours and hope you get better.

2. metalhead65 - May 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM

it took you this long to figure out you were hurting the team? what happened to the it is not the shoulder and I feel fine talk you have been saying since spring training? so because you have been trying to gut it out dusty has been refusing to play frazier who may not be the answer but could have been doing a much better job than you this whole time. how many times can you cut into the shoulder and expect it to be fixed? sad to see it end this way but he is done and time to move on. thanks for your help in 2010 but it is over.

• Utley's Hair - May 13, 2012 at 1:40 AM

OK, I’m confused…is this or isn’t this Dusty Baker’s fault? You say it’s Rolen’s, and that Dusty’s been forced to play him. But you blame everything else on Baker.

• metalhead65 - May 13, 2012 at 3:21 AM

I did not blame the injury on baker only the playing him all the time and refusing to play the younger player Todd Frazier. he was demoted at the end of spring training even though he lead the reds in every offensive catagory and told to concentrate on playing third to back up rolen. since being recalled he has played in 5 games there while rolen has sucked. and with the way the reds are playing why wouldn’t any leval headed fan blame dusty? his refusal to give Heisey a legitimate shot at earning the left job makes that a weak position and refusing to play frazier at 3rd. weakens that one. how he expects anyone to get going while playing 2 games in a row max no matter what they do when they do play is maddening! Heisey hit 3 homers in a game against the yankees last year then did not play for a week! who besides baker does that?ludwick has been a total bust but he insists on trotting him out there no matter how badly he plays. the younger Heisey needs to play everday for a month at least to see if he is the answer or not but at this point I would take a week.the man refuses to play his best hitters in votto and bruce back to back because they are both left handed,again who besides dusty would do this? I could go on but if you were a reds fan you would know and would not be happy either.

• Fink - May 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM

if you have been following Fay’s posts on the Enquirer website, you can pretty much infer from Rolen/Dusty’s comments that Dusty would have run Rolen out there 4/7 games a week or so, but Rolen finally took himself out because he wasn’t producing and Dusty wouldn’t just bench him. No major leaguer is really going to defer when asked to start unless a. they are really injured or b. they realize they are bringing the team down

3. t3dstrik3r - May 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM

“The beginning of the end” of Rolen’s career was when he first seriously hurt his shoulder playing with the Cards. He was having a hall of fame-worthy career until then, when you consider how good his defense was back then as well.

4. skerney - May 13, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Did all his shoulder problems begin with the Hee Seop Choi collision in 2004?

5. finfan88shark - May 13, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Would be news If he wasn’t hurt.

6. joshfrancis50 - May 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I really like Rolen, but this is a blessing for the Reds. Dusty was likely not going to bench him, so now they have an opportunity borne of circumstance to see if Frazier can do the job.

The issue the Reds have in front of them is whether or not Baker actually, you know, plays Frazier. Perhaps this is the cynic in me, but I have a suspicion that time at 3B will be shared by Frazier and, wait for it, Miguel Cairo. I hope I’m wrong and Frazier starts 5 games a week, but it won’t shock me if it doesn’t happen.

• metalhead65 - May 13, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I bet frazier does not play today since he had a hit last night he is good to go, cairo or valdez need the playing time so they can get going. feel sorry for the guy they brought up from louisville as he will never see the field except maybe a pinch hitting role here or there.you people who are not reds fans have no idea what it is like having to listen to his logic after making the stupid decisions he does on a dailey basis.

7. whodeytn - May 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Dusty makes me want to pull my hair out. I’m pretty sure that he has directly cost us 3-4 games so far this year.

Also, is Jacoby ever going to be held accountable for this teams hitting? They strike out more than me when I was in high school with the ladies!

8. buffalomafia - May 13, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Waaaaaaaaa you big over paid cry baby!

Your always hurt!!!!!!

• Fink - May 13, 2012 at 1:43 PM

let’s see you pick a screamer at 3rd with a money throw for like 10 years in the MLB and win GG after GG…. then we will take those comments of yours seriously :)

9. materialman80 - May 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Rolen has had a good career, but it’s coming to an end.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3484)