May 12, 2012, 10:20 AM EST
Former Cardinals manager Tony La Russa had his No. 10 retired in a ceremony prior to last night’s game against the Braves.
La Russa was joined by a select group of friends, former players and colleagues for the occasion, including Tom Seaver, Dennis Eckersley, Dave Stewart, Walt Jocketty and Joe Torre. He was awarded with a key to the city by Mayor Francis Slay during the ceremony and the team unveiled a decal with his likeness on the left center field wall.
La Russa is the 13th person to have his number retired by the Cardinals, joining Stan Musial, Ozzie Smith, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Red Schoendienst, Enos Slaughter, Dizzy Dean, Ken Boyer, Whitey Herzog, Auggie Busch, Bruce Sutter, Jack Buck, and Jackie Robinson.
In 16 seasons at the helm in St. Louis, La Russa compiled a 1,408-1,182 record and led the Cardinals to two World Series championships, three pennants, seven division titles and eight playoff appearances. He walked away last fall ranked third all-time in managerial wins (2,728) behind behind only Connie Mack and John McGraw.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)