The Cardinals retired Tony La Russa’s No. 10 last night

May 12, 2012, 10:20 AM EST

Tony La Russa AP AP

Former Cardinals manager Tony La Russa had his No. 10 retired in a ceremony prior to last night’s game against the Braves.

La Russa was joined by a select group of friends, former players and colleagues for the occasion, including Tom Seaver, Dennis Eckersley, Dave Stewart, Walt Jocketty and Joe Torre. He was awarded with a key to the city by Mayor Francis Slay during the ceremony and the team unveiled a decal with his likeness on the left center field wall.

La Russa is the 13th person to have his number retired by the Cardinals, joining Stan Musial, Ozzie Smith, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Red Schoendienst, Enos Slaughter, Dizzy Dean, Ken Boyer, Whitey Herzog, Auggie Busch, Bruce Sutter, Jack Buck, and Jackie Robinson.

In 16 seasons at the helm in St. Louis, La Russa compiled a 1,408-1,182 record and led the Cardinals to two World Series championships, three pennants, seven division titles and eight playoff appearances. He walked away last fall ranked third all-time in managerial wins (2,728) behind behind only Connie Mack and John McGraw.

1. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

At least he thinks they did.

• stlouis1baseball - May 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Still suffer from TLR envy huh?

2. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM

TLR: where’s AP and what’s Matheny doing in my office?

• stlouis1baseball - May 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Dude…try not to let it get to you so much. It isn’t healthy.

3. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM

What’s a guy gotta do to get a fifth of gin around here?

• The Baseball Idiot - May 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

You posted three comments. Was that one for each of the billy goats gruff?

• stlouis1baseball - May 14, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Seriously. Seek treatment. With the help of Family and friends…I am sure you can overcome it!

4. mybrunoblog - May 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Congrats TL you are in pretty good company. Next stop Cooperstown.

5. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - May 12, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I hope Chris Hansen doesn’t figure out where I’m at. Where the hell is Albert I would have thought for sure he he would have here

6. yankeesfanlen - May 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM

TLR pulled some of the speakers after their third paragraph.
    Seriously, it was a nice, if somewhat lengthy, tribute.And he received a bronzed fungo bat.
    And the baseball game was great, but they played funny, the pitchers were expected to hit!

• cur68 - May 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Don’t know if you noticed, but players jogging onto the field actually forced them to get on with it, Len, they were so long winded. And yeah, that pitcher hitting thing can only lead to injury. Those guys are as tender as new born spring lambs. We had a Zero on the Berkman sightings, though. I know you were disappointed.

• yankeesfanlen - May 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM
      • yankeesfanlen - May 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Berkman!

• stlouis1baseball - May 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Definately envious Cur. I would have loved to have attended with you. Where did you sit?

7. redbirdfan81 - May 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I was excited when he was hired and ecstatic with the job he did. He made us proud and he will forever be in our gratitude. Thanks, TLR! I’ll see you in Cooperstown with the “birds on the bat” shirt and hat in no time at all.

8. metalhead65 - May 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I see jocketty was there,somebody might want to tell him he works for the reds now not the cardinals! no wait he was probably secretly scouting which former washed up card to sign and over pay next. they can join the likes of edmonds, renteria among others along with ludwick this year. it is bad enough they were all ex-cards but who excatly were they bidding against to sign them? was anybody else going to pay renteria what the reds did?did I miss the part where teams were lined up to pay ludwick who has done nothing since he left the cardinals 2.5 million? again somebody please to walt he is not in st. louis anymore!

9. mannyicey - May 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Interesting day for me. I grew up a Cardinals fan, but I have lived in Atlanta longer. I’m a fan of both ball clubs, but I root for the Braves when they play head-to-head.

So when J-Hey hit that 2-Run shot, I was happy. But what made me even more happy was when Chipper came up to the plate and the Cardinals fans gave him that standing ovation. All I could say was “Wow!”

I don’t care who you are or what team you root for, the St. Louis Cardinals baseball fans are the very best baseball fans on Planet Earth! They are the most insightful, earnest and knowledgeable fans and that just proved it! They have proven time and again that they know exactly how to act, when to cheer, when to boo, when is the appropriate time to show emotion and when to acknowledge a player.

Thanks! When I go back to St. Louis and visit, I can’t wait to put on my red and white.

10. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - May 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I know it’s impossible to say anything bad about the Cardinals without getting rated down on HBT, but I have never liked La Russa and he did a terrible thing for baseball popularizing the idea of the “closer”. The best pitcher should pitch in the highest-leverage situations, not just when they can get a “save” which is the second dumbest stat in baseball (right after Joe Morgan’s favorite, pitcher wins, which so far this season indicate that Clay Bucholz is a better pitcher than Roy Halladay, Felix Hernandez, and Tim Lincecum).

• stlouis1baseball - May 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Don’t sweat it Burrito. Although I don’t agree with you…you are entitled to your opinion.
      I put ZERO stock in someone clicking the thumbs up and/or thumbs down. It means nothing.

11. astrosfan75956 - May 12, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Berkman!

12. dirtyharry1971 - May 13, 2012 at 3:02 AM

the guy earned it, no doubt about that

13. materialman80 - May 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Well deserved Tony!

14. stlouis1baseball - May 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Congratulations TLR! You know have your much deserved spot on the wall.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester