May 13, 2012, 11:16 AM EDT
From B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest comes word that the Cardinals have activated first baseman Lance Berkman from the 15-day DL and are hitting him fifth in Sunday’s series-finale against the Braves.
Diminutive outfielder Shane Robinson was optioned to Triple-A Memphis in a corresponding roster move.
Berkman, who was sidelined for around three weeks with a left calf strain, had a superb .348/.500/.522 batting line with two doubles, six walks, two RBI and six runs scored through his first 30 plate appearances this season.
The Cardinals, currently leading the NL Central with a 20-13 record, are looking to avoid a sweep on Sunday.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)