May 13, 2012, 4:37 PM EST
The Marlins have had some big ninth-inning struggles this season. Today, they turned the tables on the Mets.
The game was tied 2-2 entering the ninth when the Mets rallied for two runs in the top of the inning off Heath Bell. That would have given the struggling Bell his fourth loss of the season had the Mets been able to close it out.
However, Frank Francisco didn’t have it today, either. He gave up a triple, a walk and an RBI single to the three batters he faced before being replaced by Manny Acosta. A sac fly then tied the game at 4. After a pop out to right, it looked like the game might go to extras. However, a walk and a HBP followed, loading the bases and allowing Stanton to do his thing. It was his second career walkoff homer and third career slam.
Francisco’s latest misadventure could well get him replaced in the closer’s role for the Mets. With Acosta also struggling, Jon Rauch would be the favorite to take over. Eventually, Bobby Parnell might earn a look there.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)