May 13, 2012, 5:39 PM EDT
And Robin Ventura still seems out of his element.
The homer came in his 124th at-bat of the season. Francoeur last year hit 20 homers in 601 at-bats.
Francoeur is also without a steal this season after finishing with 22 in 2011.
But that’s about all I have to write about Francoeur at the moment. Let’sdiscuss Robin Ventura’s decision-making with the White Sox down 3-1 in the ninth inning of the contest.
Rookie reliever Addison Reed entered today’s game with a .143 average against this season. However, after a walk and a double to open the ninth, Robin Ventura had Reed intentionally walk Jarrod Dyson to load the bases with no outs. And then, after a run-scoring wild pitch and a strikeout, Ventura had Reed issue another intentional walk, this one to Alex Gordon. Reed, still struggling with his control, went on to hit Billy Butler to force in a run and then gave up an RBI single to Francoeur before being pulled. He ended up being charged with six runs.
If you ask me, this is just another case of Ventura looking overmatched from the dugout. Reed hadn’t allowed a run all season and he appears well on his to establishing himself as one of the league’s top strikeout relievers, yet Ventura kept taking away his margin for error by loading the bases. Reed clearly wasn’t at his best today, so maybe he would have given up those runs regardless. Still, Ventura should have trusted his stuff: Reed was a much better bet to get out of the inning with strikeouts (of which he had 26 in 17 1/3 innings as a major leaguer) than he was with a double play (of which he had zero in 17 1/3 innings as a major leaguer).
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)