May 13, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
One could stump a lot of people with this question: who is the active leader in strikeouts among right-handed pitchers?
Javier Vazquez ended last season as the active strikeout leader with 2,536. Since he’s now out of the league, the list is topped by two left-handers who actually didn’t pitch at all in 2011: Jamie Moyer (2,429) and Andy Pettitte (2,253). CC Sabathia (2,070) is third and rising. Millwood is fourth even though he’s finished in the top 10 of his league in strikeouts just twice: a fourth-place finish in 1999 and and a 10th-place showing in 2002.
Millwood today spoiled Pettitte’s return to Yankee Stadium with his best effort of the season. He allowed just one run and three hits to earn his first win in seven starts and lower his ERA from 5.88 to 5.09. Pettitte gave up four runs in 6 1/3 innings and took the loss.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 43
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)