Red Sox replace Derek Lowe’s stolen World Series ring

May 13, 2012, 7:24 PM EDT

Derek Lowe AP

With the Cleveland Indians in town for a series at Fenway Park, Red Sox owners John Henry, Larry Lucchino and Tom Werner presented Derek Lowe with a new 2004 World Series ring Saturday to replace the one he had stolen from his Fort Myers home last month.

“You know me, I can talk,” Lowe said. “But it was one of those moments where I didn’t even know what to say. It wasn’t like they just sent over a bat boy or sent it over. All three of them came over to give it to me. They said some really nice things.”

Lowe followed up a very disappointing regular season by going 3-0 with a 1.86 ERA in the 2004 postseason for the Red Sox. On just two days’ rest, he beat the Yankees in Game 7 of the ALCS to put the Red Sox back in the World Series for the first time in 18 years. His World Series victory against the Cardinals was his last start with Boston, as he signed a free agent deal with the Dodgers in the following offseason.

“It’s something I’ll never forget,” said Lowe. “It almost means more this time because it was a selfless act on their part. I just want people to know they did this.”

1. diehardcubbiefan4life - May 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Wow, very nice gesture there by the Red Sox.

• marshmallowsnake - May 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM

First good thing this team did all season. Good for them.

2. natsattack - May 13, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Agreed, it’s the first thing they’ve done right this year.

• Old Gator - May 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Certainly the classiest thing they’ve done this year. Or last. I wonder if they thought of it, or if one of their P/R guys suggested it as damage control. Sorry for not giving Henry the benefit of the doubt – but there’s a largely publicly funded stadium squatting over the grave of the Orange Bowl that he once promised to build with his own money.

• quintjs - May 14, 2012 at 5:15 AM

No they did it because it was the right thing to do, it wasn’t a PR move. They did it to show the team still appreciates his efforts for the team – and he has been gone long enough so everyone (including the fans) remember the good times (such as Nomar).

I mean, obviously had Lowe just left the Red Sox this past offseason, Henry and co. would have funded the break-in themselves – but time has past so its all good.

3. sjsharksfan11 - May 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Very classy. Great to hear

4. mybrunoblog - May 13, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Pue the real one in a safe deposit box and have a replica made. Just an idea.
    Nice move by Red Sox.

5. recoveringcubsfan - May 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Aw man, that’s sweet. If there’s not supposed to be crying in baseball, why do people have to show heart like this? Answer me that. Damn Red Sox, making me like you again and feel things and stuff.

Yet another WS run for the Giants