May 13, 2012, 8:39 AM EST
The Braves spoiled Friday night’s Tony La Russa number-retirement ceremony at Busch Stadium by snatching a 9-7 extra-innings win over the Cardinals.
On Saturday evening, they were at it again.
With 25-year-old righty Brandon Beachy holding the defending World Series champions to two hits over six innings and the Atlanta offense attacking St. Louis starter Adam Wainwright for five earned runs on nine hits, the Braves picked up their second straight victory with a convincing 7-2 win.
The Braves are now 21-13 on the year with a +31 run differential that ranks second — only to the Cardinals at +68 — in the National League.
They’ll be looking for a big early-season sweep on Sunday afternoon.
Your Saturday box scores:
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)