May 13, 2012, 8:39 AM EDT
The Braves spoiled Friday night’s Tony La Russa number-retirement ceremony at Busch Stadium by snatching a 9-7 extra-innings win over the Cardinals.
On Saturday evening, they were at it again.
With 25-year-old righty Brandon Beachy holding the defending World Series champions to two hits over six innings and the Atlanta offense attacking St. Louis starter Adam Wainwright for five earned runs on nine hits, the Braves picked up their second straight victory with a convincing 7-2 win.
The Braves are now 21-13 on the year with a +31 run differential that ranks second — only to the Cardinals at +68 — in the National League.
They’ll be looking for a big early-season sweep on Sunday afternoon.
Your Saturday box scores:
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)