May 13, 2012, 8:39 AM EDT
The Braves spoiled Friday night’s Tony La Russa number-retirement ceremony at Busch Stadium by snatching a 9-7 extra-innings win over the Cardinals.
On Saturday evening, they were at it again.
With 25-year-old righty Brandon Beachy holding the defending World Series champions to two hits over six innings and the Atlanta offense attacking St. Louis starter Adam Wainwright for five earned runs on nine hits, the Braves picked up their second straight victory with a convincing 7-2 win.
The Braves are now 21-13 on the year with a +31 run differential that ranks second — only to the Cardinals at +68 — in the National League.
They’ll be looking for a big early-season sweep on Sunday afternoon.
Your Saturday box scores:
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (100)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1