May 14, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
San Diego is a nice alternative to L.A. You get the same — actually better — Southern California weather. It’s a bit cheaper. Way less traffic and hassle. My kids wanted to go to California on vacation this summer and after looking at L.A. stuff for a while I turned my attention south and found it to be way more appealing.
Maybe the tradeoff for owning a baseball team in those parts is not quite as equal, but for those who lost out on the Dodgers, San Diego is becoming a popular destination for their ambitions:
If you can’t buy ‘em, beat ‘em. That could be the motto for Steven Cohen, the hedge-fund billionaire and runner-up in the bidding for the Dodgers.
The San Diego Padres are up for sale, and Cohen is thought to be one of at least five potential buyers cleared by Major League Baseball to review the team’s confidential financial data.
Former Dodgers owner — who wanted to own them again — Peter O’Malley is already reported to be looking at the Padres.
It’s certainly not the plum that the Dodgers are in terms of revenue, both now and in the future. But at “only” $600 million, you can own the Padres for less than a third of what Magic and friends paid for the boys in blue.
UPDATE: Will Carroll reminds me that Steve Garvey was on his podcast a couple weeks ago and noted that he too is interested in the Padres.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)