May 14, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Buster Posey got Sunday off because, as manager Bruce Bochy put it, the catcher’s surgically repaired left ankle is “just a little cranky.”
“It’s not bad, but it’s to the point he needs a day,” Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com. “I think this is the best thing in the long run.”
Posey has played well in his return from the gruesome injury that ended his season on May 25 of last year, hitting .282 with four homers and a .772 OPS while appearing in 30 of the Giants’ first 34 games.
However, he’s slumped lately with a 3-for-25 stretch and Bochy wanted to give him a complete day off rather than simply shifting Posey from catcher to first base to keep his bat in the lineup.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)