May 14, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Buster Posey got Sunday off because, as manager Bruce Bochy put it, the catcher’s surgically repaired left ankle is “just a little cranky.”
“It’s not bad, but it’s to the point he needs a day,” Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com. “I think this is the best thing in the long run.”
Posey has played well in his return from the gruesome injury that ended his season on May 25 of last year, hitting .282 with four homers and a .772 OPS while appearing in 30 of the Giants’ first 34 games.
However, he’s slumped lately with a 3-for-25 stretch and Bochy wanted to give him a complete day off rather than simply shifting Posey from catcher to first base to keep his bat in the lineup.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (92)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)