May 14, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
J.C. Romero coughed up multiple runs Saturday for the third straight appearance and he won’t get a chance to snap that streak with the Cardinals, as they released the veteran left-hander this morning.
Romero, who was signed to a one-year, $750,000 deal in December, finishes his time in St. Louis with a 10.13 ERA and .368 opponents’ batting average in 11 appearances.
Romero has bounced around an incredible amount in the past few seasons and his inability to consistently throw strikes or retire right-handed hitters really limits his role to left-handed specialist. And at age 36 even that might be too much responsibility.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)