May 14, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
As The 700 Level discusses, that’s a big, long contract, though in Hamels’ case it may be the kind of commitment the Phillies need to make. And it’s certainly the case that young, top-shelf lefties don’t come onto the market that often.
Still, I’m rather confused here. One would think, given Hamels’ affinity for Old School Baseball, he’d prefer to sign a one-year deal for $45,000, subject to automatic renewal by the team via the reserve clause.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)