May 14, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
As The 700 Level discusses, that’s a big, long contract, though in Hamels’ case it may be the kind of commitment the Phillies need to make. And it’s certainly the case that young, top-shelf lefties don’t come onto the market that often.
Still, I’m rather confused here. One would think, given Hamels’ affinity for Old School Baseball, he’d prefer to sign a one-year deal for $45,000, subject to automatic renewal by the team via the reserve clause.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)