May 14, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
As The 700 Level discusses, that’s a big, long contract, though in Hamels’ case it may be the kind of commitment the Phillies need to make. And it’s certainly the case that young, top-shelf lefties don’t come onto the market that often.
Still, I’m rather confused here. One would think, given Hamels’ affinity for Old School Baseball, he’d prefer to sign a one-year deal for $45,000, subject to automatic renewal by the team via the reserve clause.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 4
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 19
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 7
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 80
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)