May 14, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
As The 700 Level discusses, that’s a big, long contract, though in Hamels’ case it may be the kind of commitment the Phillies need to make. And it’s certainly the case that young, top-shelf lefties don’t come onto the market that often.
Still, I’m rather confused here. One would think, given Hamels’ affinity for Old School Baseball, he’d prefer to sign a one-year deal for $45,000, subject to automatic renewal by the team via the reserve clause.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)