Curt Schilling’s video game company is going under?

May 14, 2012, 6:55 PM EDT

Kingdoms

According to a report by Providence’s NBC 10, Rhode Island state officials have been meeting with 38 Studios, the video game company owned by Curt Schilling.

“We’re always working to keep Rhode Island companies solvent, and that’s what we’re doing with 38 Studios,” Governor Lincoln Chafee said.

38 Studios was originally Massachusetts based, but Rhode Island lured the company in 2010 with a $75 million loan guarantee.

38 Studios declined to comment on the report. The company released it’s first game, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, in February to solid reviews. It’s currently at work on a MMO called Copernicus.

1. jimmymarlinsfan - May 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

“take the money and run”

Curt Schilling could quite possibly love himself more than any other person I’ve ever seen

• recoveringcubsfan - May 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

What about Johnny Damon?

• bloodysock - May 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Clemens?

2. pisano - May 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM

It couldn’t happen to a more deserving pos!

3. randygnyc - May 14, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I hat curt schillings guts. New Englanders in general, too. But he’s not the only one losing a job here.

• jimmymarlinsfan - May 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Us new englanders aren’t overly fond of you neeewwww yawkers eitha

Brb, need to paaaak my caaaar in tha yaaaard

• biasedhomer - May 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM

A New Englander making fun of the New York accent.

• jwbiii - May 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM

“Hate” is a strong word to use for a group of several million people. I’ll bet you haven’t even met most of them.

• recoveringcubsfan - May 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM

You wear his guts as a hat? Sick.

• purnellmeagrejr - May 15, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Every once in awhile I read a post from someone who reallly doesn’t understand that SPorts is SPorts and life is life. The other day I read a post from some knucklehead who compared Josh Beckettt to pancreatic cancer. TOday i read where randygnyc “hat Curt Schlling’s guts. New Englanders in general.” Just for fun I looked it up and both of these posts were posted by the same genius. To explain – further – there is no reason to “Hat CUrt Schillling’s guts – he used to be an athlete. He didn’t rape or murder people – he threw baseballls. To hat him is just as misguided as to think he was a “Hero” for pitching with a blooody sock. It’s just Sports – I love ‘em but don’t get them mixed up with life. Have a nice hat, Randy!

• sportsdrenched.com - May 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

or waste a good hat on a dude you don’t know.

4. robmar924 - May 14, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Thats a shame. Reckoning was a pretty awesome game and sold well so its a little suprising

• recoveringcubsfan - May 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Totally liked the game – not Skyrim but a solid first effort. They also cranked out the DLC, so that was a nice player-friendly move. I hope they can keep it together or license the game franchise to somebody who will make the next installment.

5. erk877 - May 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM

What a shock…….another millionaire Republican looking for a government handout. Thanks, Job Creator!

• drunkenjunk - May 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM

stfu

6. randygnyc - May 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Jwbii- not most, just enough. Between their sports fandom and politics, I know all I need to know.

• heynerdlinger - May 14, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Wow. Aren’t you Prince Charming?

7. jimmymarlinsfan - May 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Actually biased, I was born in Miami and moved to germany and then lived in new hampshire and kissimmee before moving to mass…therefore I’m accent less even thought my voice is deep enough I channel Barry white

Oh and I’m a liberal progressive who personally thinks Romney is only good at one thing and making money isn’t what a presidents best talent should be

8. hank10 - May 15, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Once again a state government ‘attracts’ a company with loan guarantees and tax breaks, only to now potentially have to spend more taxpayers’ money to bail them out in some fashion. When Joe Public is having problems paying his bills and faces financial ruin, where are his loan guarantees and hand-outs? It’s ‘don’t let the door hit ya on the way out’.

9. randygnyc - May 15, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I don’t know about any of you, but I always disliked my opponents. It wasn’t until obama said, “we’re going to punish our enemies and we’re going to reward our friends who stand with us”, that I became enlightened to the concept that my opponents are my enemies, and everyone hates their enemies. Funny how that works. Our esteemed president gave me permission to hate those I disagree with. Thanks, chief!!!

10. sportsdrenched.com - May 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I only support propping this company up if they agree to sell an 8-bit version of Dragon Warrior from the original NES.

11. jeffersonkostilnick - May 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Not going lie, that game is so addicting that I actually played the game for 12 hours straight. No stopping for bathroom breaks. I must of crapped and pissed myself numerous times. Can’t wait till the sequel comes out.

12. Ick McWang - May 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Very sad to hear this. If you aren’t a gamer, well, that’s a shame, but his studio actually put out a top notch game, I personally have played over 120 hours of the game. I hope Schilling and his investors can work this out, as he did go all in, buying an established studio and hiring top-top-top shelf talent across the board.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3256)