May 14, 2012, 5:22 PM EST
UPDATE: After being examined by the Royals’ team doctor Duffy has been diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament, which is the injury that requires Tommy John surgery. He’ll seek a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum first, but it looks like season-ending surgery for the promising left-hander. What a shame.
Duffy faced just three hitters before noticeably shaking his arm in discomfort, at which point manager Ned Yost and a trainer made a mound visit and removed him from the game.
Yost said afterward that he wasn’t going to take any changes with the 23-year-old Duffy, who also missed a start with elbow tightness three weeks ago.
Kansas City is very deep in young hitting talent, but losing Duffy would be a big blow to a pitching staff that still needs plenty of help. After a rough rookie season Duffy has thrown 28 innings with a 3.90 ERA and 28/18 K/BB ratio while showing off impressive fastball velocity.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)