May 14, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
The Rays placed outfielder Desmond Jennings on the 15-day disabled list before tonight’s game with a left knee sprain and recalled utility man Stephen Vogt from Triple-A Durham.
Jennings hasn’t started since last Sunday due to the injury, but since he made a pinch-hit appearance on Friday, he will not be eligible to return until May 27. Of course, given that his knee hasn’t improved over the past few days, the prolonged period of rest might be the best thing for him in the long term.
Jennings, 25, is hitting .265/.333/.398 with three homers, 11 RBI, eight stolen bases, 20 runs scored and a .732 OPS in 31 games this season.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 26
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 54
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)