May 14, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
“I told [Bob Melvin] I wasn’t happy about it,” Balfour said. “I was pissed off. It’s fine, whatever. He knows how I feel. I’ll just go on the field and do what I do .. Do I feel like it was kind of a short leash? Yeah, a little bit,” Balfour said. “Shoot, I had a couple of bad games, I feel like I’ve pitched pretty good here for the last year and a month. There goes that. It’s kind of a bit of a bummer. I’m disappointed.”
I figure this falls under “mad, but constructively so, in a manner which suggests competitiveness so no one will think he’s being disruptive” and not “clubhouse problem.” There’s a much greater margin for error with that sort of thing in Oakland than there is in, say, New York or Boston, however, of course.
Maybe this wouldn’t have happened if his name was Strikthree instead of Balfour we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)