Grant Balfour is “pissed off” about losing the A’s closer’s job

May 14, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

balfour getty Getty Images

Brian Fuentes was re-installed as the A’s closer yesterday. He was pleased about it.  Grant Balfour: far less pleased about losing the job:

“I told [Bob Melvin] I wasn’t happy about it,” Balfour said. “I was pissed off. It’s fine, whatever. He knows how I feel. I’ll just go on the field and do what I do .. Do I feel like it was kind of a short leash? Yeah, a little bit,” Balfour said. “Shoot, I had a couple of bad games, I feel like I’ve pitched pretty good here for the last year and a month. There goes that. It’s kind of a bit of a bummer. I’m disappointed.”

I figure this falls under “mad, but constructively so, in a manner which suggests competitiveness so no one will think he’s being disruptive”  and not “clubhouse problem.”  There’s a much greater margin for error with that sort of thing in Oakland than there is in, say, New York or Boston, however, of course.

Maybe this wouldn’t have happened if his name was Strikthree instead of Balfour we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

1. darthicarus - May 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Somewhere Heath Bell is laughing, likely holding the world’s longest leash.

2. southpaw2k - May 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I always thought it was kinda ironic for a closer whose name sounded like “ball four.”

• wondroushippo - May 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM

My favorite ironic pitcher name ever is still Bob Walk, though. I mean, not only is his last name Walk, but his first name could be an acronym for Base on Balls. I mean, COME ON.

3. APBA Guy - May 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM

In fairness, he (Balfour) has pitched very poorly in close situations lately. On the other hand, being replaced by Fuentes guarantees he’ll have another shot to close before very long.

4. mybrunoblog - May 14, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Jim Bouton loves this guy for obvious reasons.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3726)