May 14, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
Ivan Nova was removed from Monday’s game in the sixth inning with a sprained right ankle.
Nova was hurt fielding a tapper near the mound and limped off the field afterwards. He was previously hit in the right foot by a Nick Markakis comebacker in the third, but the incident in the sixth was a new injury.
Nova was charged with five runs in 5 1/3 innings before departing. The Orioles snapped his 15-game winning streak by beating him 5-0 on May 2, but he won’t be involved in the decision tonight after leaving a 5-5 tie.
If Nova needs to miss his next start, Freddy Garcia, who has been relegated to mop-up duties since losing his rotation spot at the beginning of the month, could get the call in his place.
- Report: Mets “pushing very hard” for Carlos Gomez 8
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 37
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 66
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)