May 14, 2012, 9:45 PM EDT
Ivan Nova was removed from Monday’s game in the sixth inning with a sprained right ankle.
Nova was hurt fielding a tapper near the mound and limped off the field afterwards. He was previously hit in the right foot by a Nick Markakis comebacker in the third, but the incident in the sixth was a new injury.
Nova was charged with five runs in 5 1/3 innings before departing. The Orioles snapped his 15-game winning streak by beating him 5-0 on May 2, but he won’t be involved in the decision tonight after leaving a 5-5 tie.
If Nova needs to miss his next start, Freddy Garcia, who has been relegated to mop-up duties since losing his rotation spot at the beginning of the month, could get the call in his place.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)