May 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Justin Verlander tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the A’s yesterday, logging his 50th consecutive start of at least six innings, but the Tigers ace would have stayed in even longer if not for the callus on his right thumb splitting open.
“I looked down there towards the end of the seventh inning and it was bleeding,” Verlander told Jason Beck of MLB.com, adding that he’s dealt with issues related to the callus for a while now and doesn’t expect to miss any time.
Between now and his next start the reigning MVP and Cy Young winner will see if moisturizer can help keep the callus from drying out. Verlander already has his own cereal, but this sounds like another endorsement possibility if things go well.
“Take it from me, Justin Verlander: Not only does this product make women’s faces look great it can keep your fingers from exploding with blood.”
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)