May 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Justin Verlander tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the A’s yesterday, logging his 50th consecutive start of at least six innings, but the Tigers ace would have stayed in even longer if not for the callus on his right thumb splitting open.
“I looked down there towards the end of the seventh inning and it was bleeding,” Verlander told Jason Beck of MLB.com, adding that he’s dealt with issues related to the callus for a while now and doesn’t expect to miss any time.
Between now and his next start the reigning MVP and Cy Young winner will see if moisturizer can help keep the callus from drying out. Verlander already has his own cereal, but this sounds like another endorsement possibility if things go well.
“Take it from me, Justin Verlander: Not only does this product make women’s faces look great it can keep your fingers from exploding with blood.”
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)