May 14, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Justin Verlander tossed seven innings of one-run ball against the A’s yesterday, logging his 50th consecutive start of at least six innings, but the Tigers ace would have stayed in even longer if not for the callus on his right thumb splitting open.
“I looked down there towards the end of the seventh inning and it was bleeding,” Verlander told Jason Beck of MLB.com, adding that he’s dealt with issues related to the callus for a while now and doesn’t expect to miss any time.
Between now and his next start the reigning MVP and Cy Young winner will see if moisturizer can help keep the callus from drying out. Verlander already has his own cereal, but this sounds like another endorsement possibility if things go well.
“Take it from me, Justin Verlander: Not only does this product make women’s faces look great it can keep your fingers from exploding with blood.”
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27