May 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EST
Kevin Youkilis took some steps toward returning to the Red Sox over the weekend. He threw some on Friday and yesterday ramped things up by swinging the bat and taking grounders. He’ll need some rehab games in the minors before coming back, but looks to be on the road back to Boston.
Which will be fun if Will Middlebrooks keeps hitting (he’s at .310/.356/.714 in ten games). In a tale as old as time, the fresh face has made fans fall in love with him after a nice start, allowing them to use him as a metaphor for the cleansing of old rot and all of that.
And yes, the Sox have made it clear that Youkilis gets his old job back when he returns. But in a city where people freak the hell out over a ballplayer playing golf, you can bet that someone will find a way to make giving a three-time All-Star his job back following an injury controversial. Which should be fun.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)