May 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Kevin Youkilis took some steps toward returning to the Red Sox over the weekend. He threw some on Friday and yesterday ramped things up by swinging the bat and taking grounders. He’ll need some rehab games in the minors before coming back, but looks to be on the road back to Boston.
Which will be fun if Will Middlebrooks keeps hitting (he’s at .310/.356/.714 in ten games). In a tale as old as time, the fresh face has made fans fall in love with him after a nice start, allowing them to use him as a metaphor for the cleansing of old rot and all of that.
And yes, the Sox have made it clear that Youkilis gets his old job back when he returns. But in a city where people freak the hell out over a ballplayer playing golf, you can bet that someone will find a way to make giving a three-time All-Star his job back following an injury controversial. Which should be fun.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)