May 14, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Kevin Youkilis took some steps toward returning to the Red Sox over the weekend. He threw some on Friday and yesterday ramped things up by swinging the bat and taking grounders. He’ll need some rehab games in the minors before coming back, but looks to be on the road back to Boston.
Which will be fun if Will Middlebrooks keeps hitting (he’s at .310/.356/.714 in ten games). In a tale as old as time, the fresh face has made fans fall in love with him after a nice start, allowing them to use him as a metaphor for the cleansing of old rot and all of that.
And yes, the Sox have made it clear that Youkilis gets his old job back when he returns. But in a city where people freak the hell out over a ballplayer playing golf, you can bet that someone will find a way to make giving a three-time All-Star his job back following an injury controversial. Which should be fun.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)