Magic Johnson: hands-on owner

May 14, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT

Given his struggles in May, it seems like Matt Kemp‘s hamstring is bugging him. Which makes his bravado from yesterday in which he said there’s no way he’s hitting the disabled list a bit troubling.  With the team doing well, now would be a great time for him to take a break, get healthy and come back at 100% for the bulk of the season.

But obviously Matt Kemp doesn’t listen to what I say.  Will he, however, listen to what team’s owner says?

Even if he is right, it’s interesting to see the new owner making a public statement like this.  And really: how awesome would it be if Magic began to routinely tweet his views about the day-to-day operations of the team?

• “Don Mattingly should hit and run here.”
  • Clayton Kershaw should probably keep the ball down and away against this guy.”
  • A.J. Ellis probably needs to mix up his signs with a runner on second base.”

He could be a more telegenic and amiable Steinbrenner.

1. cleonslamminsalmon - May 14, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I’m HIV positive Magic Johnson should be a hands-off owner…

• b7p19 - May 14, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Wow, just….wow.

• heyblueyoustink - May 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Someone remembered what Valentina said “A statement, public and brutal”

• Jon Weisman - May 14, 2012 at 2:21 PM

It is absolutely astonishing to me that these types of jokes continue to get made. It would be bad enough if it were just the low humor, but I can’t even fathom the motivation. Do you seriously think it’s clever? Do you really, 20 years after Magic’s announcement, still have issues with him having the condition? I understand the Internet brings out the worst in people, but even the worst can have a purpose. But this – I completely don’t get it.

Just to be clear. It’s offensive. And it’s not funny. It’s just sad. And you know what – just because you can be offensive and pathetic doesn’t mean you have to be. It’s just like littering on the highway. You actually can make the right choice.

• spindervish - May 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Oh for fuck’s sake…it’s a South Park reference, relax. In that context, it certainly gave me a chuckle.

• b7p19 - May 14, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Oh, well, if they said it in a cartoon…

• nolanwiffle - May 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Are you actually offended by the joke? Or are you merely feeling like you’re supposed to be offended by this joke so you were able to conjure up some bogus rage?

It was a funny line from a cleverly written show used in context on a silly baseball blog. Lighten up.

• lanflfan - May 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I love South Park but I rarely quote the show since a lot of their material can incite strong opinions (though, to be fair, they bash everyone so I don’t have a problem with it), and like talking about religion and politics, I don’t like doing it.

• cleonslamminsalmon - May 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM

First, take a deep breath. Second, watch more South Park.

• El Bravo - May 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I get the reference. Still probably in bad taste. Maybe we would have laughed harder on a Friday, but this is no Monday joke :)

• bigleagues - May 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM

All opinions welcome!

#evenfromculturaldegenerates

2. anotheryx - May 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Well, he did call Mike Brown to be fired, so it’s on par.

3. heyblueyoustink - May 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM

How about ” Always remember to use protection. “

4. Jon Weisman - May 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Sorry, Spindervish, but I’m fed up. Yeah, it would help to know the context, but even so … I’m tired of every single story I read that involves Magic having these comments follow. Years and years of this crap. Enough already.

• cleonslamminsalmon - May 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Jon Weisman,
      With all due respect…You’re acting like a f*g. I get it, you’re a huge Lakers fan and still sport a Magic Johnson jersey and that’s cute and all that. Wait, should I have not said f*g?

5. citizenking77 - May 14, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Magic is one of the owners, not “the” owner Craig. Don’t buy into the company line.

6. mybrunoblog - May 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

If Johnsons ownership skills are anything like his coaching skills then the Dodgers have trouble ahead.

• bigleagues - May 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Magic Johnson is one of the greatest winners in the history of team sports.

Not everyone is cut out to excel at Coaching, especially ex-players as high on the all-time greats list as Magic.

Magic Johnson, unlike Michael Jordan, has made the vast majority of his personal fortune being one of the smartest most successful businessman in the country. Somehow I think Magic understands delegation and trusting the right people in key positions.

So, owner or not, when one of the greatest athletes of the 20th Century offers some wise advice to Matt Kemp, he’d be wise to listen.

7. randygnyc - May 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Does anyone really think Kemp wants to hear from the company token figurehead about his health issue? I’m quite sure Johnson is getting a stfu right about now. Second time this week he’s put his foot in his mouth.

8. lampdwellr - May 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Also Nolan Ryan doesn’t run the Rangers.

9. bravojawja - May 14, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Maybe Kemp shouldn’t think of this as advice from ownership, rather advice from another superstar athlete who knows what he’s talking about.

• spindervish - May 14, 2012 at 4:46 PM

That’s the problem though…for all his obvious business acumen, the guy doesn’t seem very good at keeping his multiple public personae separate. In his ESPN/ABC NBA analyst role, whenever the Lakers come up he always shifts into this “we” mode of talking and sounds very much like a team rep. And I think his sense of familiarity makes him a bit too comfortable criticizing the team — he comes off like an employer admonishing his employees. So then when he makes proclamations like, “If the Lakers lose Game 7 Mike Brown will be fired,” it’s hard to tell if he’s just stating an opinion or making some formal statement.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3194)