May 14, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
There have been some rumblings of contract talks between Wright and the Mets, but nothing concrete has been reported. Lots of “the Mets really like, Wright and want him to be the face of the franchise” stuff. Like a boy saying he likes a girl, maybe like-likes her, but hasn’t asked her out.
Maybe it’s been a matter of the Mets getting their financial house in order. Maybe it’s been the Mets watching Wright blister the ball so far this year. Their great-but-somehow-still-underrated third basemen is only hitting .400/.489/.591 on the season while playing in 31 of 35 games.
So now maybe they’ll have the courage to ask him out.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)