May 14, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
23-year-old left-hander Danny Duffy complained of elbow tightness following his start April 22 against the Blue Jays.
Kansas City’s solution? An MRI and a precautionary DL stint? It is the team’s youngest starter and a big part of the organization’s future we’re dealing with here.
Nope, the Royals had him skip one start. No tests were scheduled. After Duffy threw a bullpen session without complaint on April 29, he was cleared to pitch May 3.
Duffy made it through that outing and one more. On May 8, he threw 102 pitches in just 4 1/3 innings versus Boston, walking five batters along the way. Five days later, he came out of his outing against the White Sox in the first inning complaining of more elbow soreness.
Only then did the Royals perform the MRI. And now all signs point to him having Tommy John surgery and missing at least the next 12 months.
There’s a very real chance Duffy was going down this path anyway. Still, it makes the Royals look incompetent that it happened the way it did. With so many good reasons to be proactive, the Royals sent Duffy right back to the mound. And now he’s probably not going to be a real asset for them until 2014, if ever.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)